LetsFlyLubbock
Explorer C

Please check my reply.

Re: SW Wifi network not dropping when I deplane

LetsFlyLubbock
Explorer C

Hello. I hope that:

1. Download a browser like DuckDuckGo.

2. Do not put it as your main in settings.

I hope this helps,

LetsFlyLubbock

Discussion Maker: @SusanG 

stefbetz12
Explorer C

PLEASE help me.  This drives me absolutely nuts.  I'm currently traveling around the country and every single day, every single different location I am in, when I try to connect to a new wifi network, I will click the name of the new network, then it will prompt me to enter the password.  BUT EVERY.SINGLE.TIME is it now showing for Southwest Wifi so then I have to go back out manually re-connect, again, and then finally I can get on wifi. 

This has been going on for months.  

My phone is updated: iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15.1.1. It is not a browser issue, as others have noted.  My is within my actual wifi settings.  I have already forgotten the network, restarted, updated multiple times.  Even if I try to go back into wifi settings on my iPhone, as I did just a moment ago, the Southwest Wifi is not there. 

And yet, when I go to connect to a new one, it will prompt me for a password, and its the Southwest Wifi network.

I know this is silly, but with as often as I change wifi networks per week, it is down right aggravating and obnoxious. Help please!!!

stevenrollinson
Employee
Employee

Hi @stefbetz12,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble once you're off the aircraft. I've got a couple of ideas that I'll add here, but if I've misunderstood the problem as described please feel free to add a screen shot and redirect me.

Regarding your device WiFi settings: The only network name that is we have onboard is "SouthwestWiFi". We never require a password to join and we don't load any certificates onto your device that would continually point your device to "SouthwestWifi" in your device settings, especially if you've told your devices to forget the network.

Regarding the browser: If you're still seeing "southwestwifi.com" or "getconnected.southwestwifi.com" in your browser I recommend closing the browser tab and starting again from your default home page once you're off the aircraft. This will start a new session within your browser and that should solve the problem.

stefbetz12
Explorer C

Hi! Thanks!

But....

That is the exact network name that continuously shows up: "SouthwestWifi." It is never an available network to join.  It's more like it defaults to trying to join it while I'm joining a random coffeeshop wifi so I can't connect to coffeeshop wifi when I try the first time.

I have already done the Forget this Network.  If I go into Advanced Network settings, SouthwestWifi does not show up anywhere. 

I'll get a screenshot the next time it happens.  It is that screen where you type in the password, then it tries to connect, then it will say Password incorrect (not positive on the verbiage) but the PW will be correct, for the network I'm actually joining, but my screen at this moment says "SouthwestWifi" again. I'll even try to get an actual recording of it.  

There must be some sort of certificate? I don't know. I understand you said there is not. But it's been going on for months and drive me bonkers (I know, first world problems, but still). 

I just had an epiphany.  Although it was forgotten and no where to be found on my phone, I just looked through my Macbook and it was there as a network available to join.  I have deleted that. I hope that fixes it!! But, still, I wouldn't think that it should be affecting my phone like that regardless. 

Let me know your thoughts!

driansharp
Explorer C

Not helpful. Not a browser related issue. 

southwestWifi acts “as if” it’s a WiFi network to be connected to (from SETTINGS) and injects itself in front of any new wifi network I try to connect to effectively stealing the passwords from other networks as a “man in the middle” - as I try to paste passwords into the legitimate WiFi connection.  

southwestWifi - which is a WiFi network that has no option to be “forgotten” on my phone has essentially stock piled every password to every WiFi network I have tried to connect to for the last 8 years. 

driansharp
Explorer C

IMG_7014.jpeg

Here it is again! 
I just installed a new WiFi network at home - I tried to select it to connect to it - and here is SouthwestWifi jumping up to take the password from the WiFi I’m trying to connect to (I never tapped on to connect to SouthwestWifi - SouthwestWifi is not even an option of a network to connect to from Wi-Fi’s available - it simply buts in and steals password entry. 

savinay
Explorer C

@stefbetz12 I've had the exact same issue on both my iPhone & iPad (iOS 15 and iPad OS 15). I've "forgotten" the Southwest Wifi network, but on any new non-SW network I join, I click on the SSID, the password prompt pops up, and it says "Southwest Wifi" at the top. Then I have to cancel out, click the SSID again, and then and only then can I log in appropriately. 

Maddening, even though I'm literally half way around the globe and nowhere near any airplanes, let alone a Southwest flight.

I'd truly appreciate any help here. 

savinay
Explorer C

@stevenrollinson is the above something you can help with? 👆🙏

driansharp
Explorer C

 How do you forget the network? Mine gives me no option to forget it 

IMG_7013.jpeg