Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: SW Wifi network not dropping when I deplane

Cirque1
Explorer C

Does not work. Southwest doesn’t even appear.

Tip; For @RDT

LetsFlyLubbock
Explorer C

Hello, @RDT.

I recommend you getting a new browser, and do not put it as your main.

I usually use DuckDuckGo, as a recommendation.

I hope this helps,

LetsFlyLubbock

Alternate: @LetsFly 

(Discussion Maker: @SusanG )

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

How long has this been happening? My first thought is that this is a setting on your device(s), nothing from the wifi equipment on the plane would carry through once you are out of range.

If someone in the airport (or wherever you were) had a network with SSID of "Southwest..." you may still connect to them.

Is it possible that you have another device with you that your iPad is trying to connect, and that device is still showing "Southwest" wifi SSID?

I haven't ever had this happen on my iPad, iPhone, or PC.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SusanG
Explorer C

Hi Dancing David,

This has been happening off and on for about a year or so.  I only use my iPad and nothing else on a plane so no other devices.  I've only chosen the approved Southwest wifi as far as I know.  Sometimes in clears within a week, sometimes I have to clear history.  It doesn't prevent me from going to new websites but seems to affect only pages on websites I visit.  Say I went to Facebook and clicked around.  When I get to hotel, I click on a link FB and it goes to getconnected.  So strange and random!  My husband flies with me on occasion and it has happened to him as well - again on an ipad.  Weird but true.

Thank you for responding.

Susan

msturtz
Explorer B

I'll echo what others have said...  in DEN, there's often a lot of planes in the same section of terminal, so the device may connect to you another plane besides the one you were on, especially as you get out of range of your plane.

I recently had an experience where I paid for the WIFI, and it said I was connected, but wouldn't let me go anywhere, I just got back to the "connect" screen.  But it wouldn't let me pay again, since I'd already paid.  I finally rebooted my device, and reconnected, then paid again, and everything was fine.  I figured they'd take care of it, but after my flight I contacted Southwest and they refunded not one but both of the charges.

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

That's awesome! 
@msturtz wrote:

I'll echo what others have said...  in DEN, there's often a lot of planes in the same section of terminal, so the device may connect to you another plane besides the one you were on, especially as you get out of range of your plane.

I recently had an experience where I paid for the WIFI, and it said I was connected, but wouldn't let me go anywhere, I just got back to the "connect" screen.  But it wouldn't let me pay again, since I'd already paid.  I finally rebooted my device, and reconnected, then paid again, and everything was fine.  I figured they'd take care of it, but after my flight I contacted Southwest and they refunded not one but both of the charges.

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

Seat_Amigo_App
Explorer B

If you travel a lot, you probably are connected to the various airport wifi's as well. What I do is to disconnect from say the Southwest wifi and give it a few seconds to find LTE or your cellular carrier. Then decide which wifi to conect to.

Hope that helps,

Rusty Shaffer

CEO

www.seatamigo.com

Hs1
Explorer C

I’m at home now, and it’s been a week since my first flight where this happened and it’s still going I’m nowhere near the southwest WiFi places so I can’t disconnect or forget the network. What do I do I’m panicking 

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@Hs1 wrote:

I’m at home now, and it’s been a week since my first flight where this happened and it’s still going I’m nowhere near the southwest WiFi places so I can’t disconnect or forget the network. What do I do I’m panicking 

We're so sorry to hear this. I am reaching out to our inflight Team and will circle back once I learn what could be going on. 

Thanks!

Nicole
Community Manager

TaraBamburg
Employee
Employee

Hi there, @Hs1, I'm sorry to hear you are having issues. When you say "it's still going", I have a bit of information below to try to understand what you are experiencing.

Our network is very similar to a network like one you would find at a Starbucks. It is a public network accessed through an SSID, but ours is named "SouthwestWiFi". This SSID will only appear in your available networks within your settings on your device when you are near one of our aircraft. 

If you chose to interact with our Inflight Entertainment Portal while inflight (perhaps you enjoyed a free movie or chose to catch up on emails), you would have accessed it through the website www.southwestwifi.com. When you deplaned, you could be like me where you just locked your device and put it away which would have retained the page you were on in the Portal at time of locking your screen. If that's the case, you need to just close that tab/window on your device or change the URL to what you are actually wanting to do on your browser.

Were you still seeing the Portal or was something else occurring?

Thanks!

Tara