Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SW doesn't seem to care about passengers wearing face masks

dmielke
Explorer C

on a flt on 10/26 the intoxicated passenger sitting immediately behind me in 5A was clearly intoxicated, only put on his mask during his 2 trips to the bathroom, and the SW flight attendant only asked him once, at my request, for him to put on his mask (the guy let it dangle from his left ear while acting like he was drinking something the entire flt).  The flt attendant basically seemed unwilling to inform him that he had to wear his mask and instead looked the other way, even when the guy's first trip to the bathroom was less than 5 mins into the flight and a bumpy ascent.  He also sneezed at least 3 times without his mask on making me and the woman sitting in the aisle seat in my row feel very unsafe.  No one sat in the same row as this guy (who boarded early) because he took his mask off as soon as he sat down and immediately made a phone call in which he was dropping f bombs constantly.  He was an ass and the SW flt crew chose to ignore him.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: SW doesn't seem to care about passengers wearing face masks

bbland
Adventurer C

It really is sad.  We've seen flight attendants not wearing them while seated & not eating or drinking and flight attendants not wearing them properly.  We've seen people with bandanas that don't go under their chins.  We've seen people not wear them and even moved seats and complained once about a man that said he wouldn't wear it.  They talked to him, we took off and he didn't wear it the entire flight except when flight attendants walked by.  A friend is a customer service manager for American and they don't tolerate this behavior.  They ban people for life that don't comply.  

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I wish I could cut and paste, but I guess I will just write what I've written in other posts of this nature.  I've done 10 flights since May.  I've not seen any issue of on plane incidents on all 10 flights.  But I'm not saying it doesn't' happen, sorry to hear you had to be on the very few flights that it did. 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I've done at least 30 flights since May, and I've seen way too many noses. I want to say it is okay because anyone who doesn't realize that their nose is connected to their respiratory system is probably a mouth breather, but I'm not sure that gives me comfort.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@bwallet I will admit, I sneak a mask pull down from time to time to get a few non obstructed breaths through the nose, but I don't keep my nose exposed beyond that.  If I was on a flight with you and you saw my nose, I apologize.   I hear you, and the odds are if you're flying 30 flights you've seen more than I.  But from the beginning of the pandemic to now, I will take the occasional nose over the just blatant refusal to wear anything at all.  There will always be that less than 1% in society that we have to keep our eye on.  Safe travels.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bwallet wrote:

I've done at least 30 flights since May, and I've seen way too many noses.  

So, when are you seeing all  those noses? When I'm seated, I can see everyone in my row, and if on the aisle I can see the person in the row in front of me in  the opposite  side of the aisle.

That's about it.

Like SWFlyer, I've not seen any significant variance from the mask rule. I'm at 13 flights since the virus hit (starting early May).

I didn't fly April and the last half of March as I was uncertain about risk factors.

Passenger1C
Aviator C

Did you mention anything to the mask-less passenger?  If I felt that my safety was an issue, I would say something... especially if I did not think the flight crew was doing anything about it.  

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I mostly see people getting on the plane with their nose uncovered. A couple of weeks ago, the person in the window seat "next" to my aisle seat had his nose uncovered. Last Monday morning in OKC, the flight attendant said something to someone as they got on the plane about covering their nose. That's the only time that I've seen that. Thursday night at Hobby someone got on the plane without a mask (not sure why the gate agent allowed that), The flight attendants gave him a mask. I'd estimate that I've seen about 10% of flight attendants with their mask below their nose.

Before boarding, in the airport is much, much worse. Lots and lots and lots of noses. I said something to someone a couple of months ago, and it didn't end well. So, I keep my mouth shut because I don't want a video involving me to go viral.

The other day, my 8 year old daughter was standing in line with my wife to check in to a hotel (no power due to an ice storm), and the person behind them wasn't wearing a mask. She looked at him and pointed to her nose, shaming him into covering it. My little girl is awesome. 

I'm far from innocent...it turns out that my favorite hobby is apparently scratching my nose in public. I hate having to treat everyone like they have cooties.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@bwallet  Now that you've brought, Cooties, out of the closet, I'm going to have to look for my 10 foot pole.  

SW doesn't seem to care about passengers wearing face masks

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I know I can't be everywhere at once, but I will say it again, I just don't see any of the things that people post on here about.  I'm not evening inferring somebody isn't being honest, it's just I don't see it, and yes, I've flown often.