Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: SW doesnt care about masks - not safe

TropicalTravel
Explorer C

I flew Southwest a week ago Friday and a few days ago Saturday, no temperature was taken before either flight.

Each flight was completely different in how they “enforced” and didn’t “enforce” mask use - absolutely no consistency and each experience very different although each flight was on the same airline.

Based on my observations, it appears that airport and airline employees decide whether or not they want to bother travelers and it comes down to their personal belief about mask use, personality and also pressure by travelers who take it upon themselves to glare and make comments toward other travelers and the airport and/or flight attendant intervenes in some way.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TropicalTravel wrote:

I flew Southwest a week ago Friday and a few days ago Saturday, no temperature was taken before either flight.

1) Southwest has not announced that it will perform temp checks

2) I would imagine the process of procuring temp check devices for every gate in every city that Southwest serves would not be a small affair.

3) Southwest is requiring passengers to confirm that they have checked their temps before allowing passengers to obtain boarding passes.

Robertlbob
Explorer B

This morning new policy: you cant wear a N95 mask? Wtf? Make you replace it with a far inferior mask? Explain???

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

Wearing an N95 mask with a valve doesn't do much to protect those around you, as it permits droplet release, negating the whole point of wearing a mask. I was wondering why it took so long to ban them...

I have to wear N95 masks (I'm immunocompromised).  I simply wear a disposable surgical or cloth mask over it.  Double-masked!  I'm protected and I'm protecting those around me.

No one knows I have the N95 on...they just think I'm overly concerned about contracting COVID.  

Robertlbob
Explorer B

my 6/15 BWI to CLT flight had 2 loud Trumpers on board PRIOR to even sitting down shouting it was their right not to wear masks....flight attendent didnt  say a thing to them

ipsedixit
Frequent Flyer C

Honestly, if anyone does not feel safe flying nowadays - for whatever reason - don’t fly. 

There are mask requirements. They are not being enforced. By anyone, city, state, local governments - to say nothing of airlines. 

There are social distancing requirements. They are not being enforced. By anyone. Because it’s just not possible or practical. Especially on an airplane even with the middle seat empty. 

Again, understand the realities, and if you feel uncomfortable, then don’t fly. 

Robertlbob
Explorer B

Then SW should do away with the charade of protecting their customers...at least we would know what we are getting into ahead of time....if I knew I wouldn't have flown

ipsedixit
Frequent Flyer C

@Robertlbob wrote:

Then SW should do away with the charade of protecting their customers...at least we would know what we are getting into ahead of time....if I knew I wouldn't have flown

You mean the same charade the rest of society is propagating? 

GrumpyOldMan
Explorer A

Two wrongs don't make a right.

ipsedixit
Frequent Flyer C

@GrumpyOldMan wrote:

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Well, it certainly doesn't make for another wrong.