Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: SW doesnt care about masks - not safe

GrumpyOldMan
Explorer A

@ipsedixit  wrote:

Well, it certainly doesn't make for another wrong.

Yes, it does.  Thinking two wrongs make a right is wrong, so that's three total.

mreyes46
Explorer C

Had the same issue today from a flight 868 Phx to Sna.  Two people without masks and flight attendants not enforcing mask  requirement.

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

They aren’t wearing masks because no one is making them do so. SWA should be firing any employee walking through an airport or on a plane talking to a passenger, without a mask properly in place. As well as firing any FAs who won’t enforce the mask requirements. 

FAs need to tell passengers to wear their masks. If passengers refuse then those passengers should be met by police at the gate and arrested for not complying with the flight crews instructions. 

it saddens me to see so many selfish ignorant people who won’t wear a mask in public. 

But until there are firm penalties in place and enforced to correct this rude and dangerous practice, we will continue to see people without masks endangering everyone around them. 

also, those who claim that they can’t wear masks are lying. There are no medical conditions with which you could fly that would prevent someone from wearing a mask. 

if you are so sick or have a mental condition that prohibits you from wearing a mask then you shouldn’t be out in public. Why should your problem allow you to put everyone around you at risk?

iaawe8286
Explorer B

Dear SW friends

This is the main reason and caution that I do not fly since 3/2020.  At this time, I wish I could fly without any doubt. I am extremely uncomfortable to fly any airlines during this time.

It is inconvenience of everyone's schedule in life and we are all in this journey together.  I drove myself and practiced social distance, wore two layers of mask to isolate myself during three weeks of essential business trip from S. F. Bay Area to Riverside County in So Cal. 

I stayed at the Marriott family network with the high quality of hygiene and cleaning safety guidance.  I would not stay even friend's house or airbnb since I do not know any danger of virus around the homes. 

All I can share is that God's shield protects me all over my surroundings and each of the locations I went and people I had contacted when I was out there by myself.  It was a victory through God's grace and faith.  I will drive peacefully with my next business trip back to So Cal in September. 

Practice your good common sense to travel safe if you choose to fly for the urgent matter. 

buzzchris
Adventurer B

First, I agree with you about people not wearing mask claiming medical reasons. Probably the great majority do NOT have medical reasons, they just don't believe in the mask protection. They're lying about their medical reasons.    Second, FAs not enforcing the mask requirement: A family member just returned from a SW flight and stated several people took off their mask during take off roll and kept them off.  The FAs did nothing. My family member took video and posted it on FB. Yeah, both FAs just walked past these people and said nothing. My family member was sitting behind one of them. So, why even require masks then?  According to the video and my family member, those same people put their mask back on after landing. 

buzzchris
Adventurer B

I just read elsewhere about "it is my right not to wear a mask!".  What right is that? Is that in the constitution? Is that in the SW bylaws?    Nevertheless, an airline is a private company, when it comes to the mask issue they set the rules as they see fit or what they believe is best for all passengers as a collective.  They set the rules, the passengers do not. Don't like their rules?.., then don't fly with them.  A good friend of mine is a pilot with SW. He recently told one irate, non complying passenger who was boarding and entering the aircraft that if you don't like the rules, get off.     I use to fly as an LEO for years with SW. I had to intervene  a couple of times for some idiot passenger who didn't like the rules.  I always wanted to put them on a "no fly"  list for the rest of their lives.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@mreyes46 wrote:

Had the same issue today from a flight 868 Phx to Sna.  Two people without masks and flight attendants not enforcing mask  requirement.

I presume that you are unaware of the fact that some people with a medical need are not required to wear masks. Do you know that the two you mentioned did not have a medical need?

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

if you are so sick or have a mental condition that prohibits you from wearing a mask then you shouldn’t be out in public. Why should your problem allow you to put everyone around you at risk?

dfwskier
Aviator A

You don't have to be sick to not wear a mask.

Masks cause some people to hyperventilate and potentially faint.

Masks can cause other people to have an asthmatic issues.

In neither of the above is the person "sick" before putting a mask on

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

Then those people should be staying home rather than putting everyone else at risk.