Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: SW doesnt care about masks - not safe

ipsedixit
Frequent Flyer C

@ffflyer wrote:

Then those people should be staying home rather than putting everyone else at risk. 

Maybe you should stay home too and not put yourself at risk. 

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

Maybe you are right. 

safe travels

Texbabygirl
Adventurer B

We should be staying home, voluntarily, IMHO

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

As you said, it's your opinion...

But making such a broad statement as, "We should be staying home..." isn't helpful.  

Some people need to travel and can't, simply, "stay at home" for a myriad of work-related or personal reasons.

Texbabygirl
Adventurer B

People seem to want it all ways. Travel but not wear masks or abide by social distancing. I think we can travel safely if we all work together by agreeing to a set of reasonable practices. No one is being asked to wear a self-contained breathing hood! But since it seems we can't get people to wear a simple mask, airlines won't enforce, can't agree on middle seat open, lets just all sit home until either we agree on safe practices or this is finally resolved. 

yayaju
Explorer C

Had a similar experience .  The attendants do ask anyone to wear a mask on board.  They are not kept from boarding without a mask.  And if another passenger does not feel safe sitting next to a person that boarded after they themselves did.  they are told to move not the person not wearing a mask.  They cannot advertise that masks are required to be boarded and for duration of flight and then not enforce it.  folks are permitted also to use excuse of eating and drinking during entire flight .  

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@yayaju wrote:

Had a similar experience .  The attendants do ask anyone to wear a mask on board.  They are not kept from boarding without a mask.  And if another passenger does not feel safe sitting next to a person that boarded after they themselves did.  they are told to move not the person not wearing a mask.  They cannot advertise that masks are required to be boarded and for duration of flight and then not enforce it.  folks are permitted also to use excuse of eating and drinking during entire flight .  

We truly regret if you were left feeling unsettled after traveling with us, @yayajuAll Customers are required to wear a face covering but there are some exemptions to this policy. As a peer-to-peer support forum, we are not equipped to assist you here, but we encourage you to Contact Customer Relations so we can follow-up with the Crew internally. 

Thank you,

Nicole
Community Manager

JTravels
Explorer C

Southwest,

I have been a Loyal customer for 10 years, I am A-list Preferred, firefighter and health care worker and I haven't stopped flying since Covid-19 started.

After flying recently I ask that Southwest STOP making everyone wear a Mask.  I see that Southwest has taken a stance in this thread of stating that masks work, but the following State and Federal agencies have statements on their website currently stating masks don't work; Cal-Osha, Center for Disease Control and World Health Organization.  

I'm aware that the main stream media is not reporting this, and elected officials are saying to wear them on the evening news.  If you are diligent and do some of your own research you'll see the missed guided narrative that is being put out there.

If this virus is SOOO deadly then why is it you have to get a test to tell you if you have it?

Why is it the homeless population in this country surviving with no issues?

We don't have a vaccine for this virus but the fatality rate is less than that of the flu which we do have a vaccine for.

Masks should be optional.  If you don't like that fact or people are so worried about getting sick then they should stay home at not fly.  

In conclusion I ask that southwest reverse the policy, and make masks optional. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@JTravels wrote:

Southwest,

I have been a Loyal customer for 10 years, I am A-list Preferred, firefighter and health care worker and I haven't stopped flying since Covid-19 started.

After flying recently I ask that Southwest STOP making everyone wear a Mask.  I see that Southwest has taken a stance in this thread of stating that masks work, but the following State and Federal agencies have statements on their website currently stating masks don't work; Cal-Osha, Center for Disease Control and World Health Organization.  

I'm aware that the main stream media is not reporting this, and elected officials are saying to wear them on the evening news.  If you are diligent and do some of your own research you'll see the missed guided narrative that is being put out there.

If this virus is SOOO deadly then why is it you have to get a test to tell you if you have it?

Why is it the homeless population in this country surviving with no issues?

We don't have a vaccine for this virus but the fatality rate is less than that of the flu which we do have a vaccine for.

Masks should be optional.  If you don't like that fact or people are so worried about getting sick then they should stay home at not fly.  

In conclusion I ask that southwest reverse the policy, and make masks optional. 

So much misinformation here. It's truly sad, and very unfortunate.

I don't even know how to respond to some of the more odd questions/statements, that I suspect may be conspiracy theory website talking points, so I'll just provide some factual references that support the well-considered position that face masks are effective at reducing the spread of the virus.

CAL-OSHA (as well as Federal OSHA), the CDC and the WHO all now recommend the wearing of face masks by the public to reduce transmission of the corona virus.

(Early on in the pandemic, face masks weren't initially recommended, since it was important that the limited supply of PPE be available to the medical professionals and other first responders dealing directly with COVID patients. That advice has now changed. In part because the supply of masks, including homemade and non-medical ones, has increased to meet the needs of the public.)

References:

Cal/OSHA and Statewide Industry Guidance on COVID-19

CDC calls on Americans to wear masks to prevent COVID-19 spread

Wear masks in public says WHO, in update of COVID-19 advice

___

The evidence is overwhelming that face masks help limit transmission of the virus:

Spate of new research supports wearing masks to control coronavirus spread

Face masks critical in preventing spread of COVID-19

Still Confused About Masks? Here’s the Science Behind How Face Masks Prevent Coronavirus

___

In fact, the CDC director recently said that universal nationwide use of face masks could bring the spread of the Coronavirus strain Covid-19 under control within four to eight weeks.

CDC Director: It’s Time For Universal Masking To End Covid-19 Pandemic

___

The comparison to the flu fatality rate has been well debunked, repeatedly, but for some reason it keeps being trotted out as some kind of statement that COVID isn't as serious as reported. COVID is serious, and is far more fatal than "the flu."

Why Comparing Flu and COVID-19 Severity Is Not Equivalent

The US Death Rate From The Coronavirus Is 52 Times Higher Than The Flu

How scientists know COVID-19 is way deadlier than the flu

Coronavirus death rate in US compared to flu death rate, by age

___

With regards to the homeless:

Fact Check: False Perception of COVID-19’s Impact on the Homeless

___

I urge you to please consider reading more fact-based information regarding the pandemic, from legitimate sources, beginning with the links I've provided. If you do, I hope you'll understand why Southwest (and all commercial air carriers) have made mask wearing onboard mandatory: it's overwhelmingly proven that masks are effective at reducing the spread of corona virus, thereby helping to end the pandemic as quickly as possible.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

Thank you @chgoflyer for raising these concerns. Community Members should keep our Community User Guidelines in mind at all times, and remember that not all advice is sound advice. While Members and Employees will do their best to help each other out, it is possible for information provided in the Community to be wrong, incomplete, or not applicable to everyone's specific situation. Always apply good judgment and feel free to seek information from other legitimate sources.

Please know that all Customers are required to wear a face covering over their nose and mouth at all times during their Southwest travel experience. It is highly encouraged to bring your own hand sanitizer and face covering. If you forget your face covering at home, a mask will be available for you. The only exception made will be for children under the age of 2 (in alignment with CDC age guidelines). 

If you traveled with us and have concerns regarding your experience or our enforcement of this policy, we ask that you Contact Customer Relations for follow-up.

Thank you,

Nicole
Community Manager