Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: SW doesnt care about masks - not safe

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Meh.

Unless you are wearing a form fitted N95 mask that is tightly sealed against your face and mouth, then the other cloth and other masks are useless.  They allow the virus, and water droplets to freely exit the mask all around it.

The same recommendation is out there each year for flu viruses, but nobody ever cared.  

And after this virus and its media leaves, people will forget about masks again.

If you are not symptomatic, there is no reason to have a mask at all.

The best thing you can do is wash your hands, dont touch your face, and dont let anyone cough in your face.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@spacecoastbill wrote:

As said earlier, "...remember that not all advice is sound advice."

Studies show that masks reduce the spread of the virus.

Masks are mandatory for travel aboard Southwest flights, for all passengers above age 2.

buzzchris
Adventurer B

I agree with chgoflyer:     This is almost funny if not pathetic.  I will side with science and the medical community. Those comments from folks about masks being non effective are the same folks that believe that the moon landing was a fake, that Sandy Hook was a hoax, Epstein actually committed suicide,  and that Elvis is still alive and living in Arizona.  It's a self agenda thing. They just don't like wearing a mask.  I am a former Air Force pilot. I didn't allow smoking from my crew or military passengers.  (this was back when smoking was deemed to be ok) Don't like it then don't get on my aircraft. 

Texbabygirl
Adventurer B

We don't know what's going on in homeless populations and masks do work. I guess if one has a negative test in hand then one could go without a mask. 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Wow, I understand your concern.  Guess it's time you consider flying 2 of the other airlines I've flown on beside SW and found the same thing.  Oh, and be prepared to pay an extra 40-60 dollars per destination in baggage fees.  

CassioBanquo
Explorer C

Masks are ridiculous and have absolutely no health benefits related to flu virus'. Your irrational emotions are causing a great deal more harm than could ever occur even if masks could magically stop viruses.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@CassioBanquo wrote:

Masks are ridiculous and have absolutely no health benefits related to flu virus'. Your irrational emotions are causing a great deal more harm than could ever occur even if masks could magically stop viruses.

We regret any disappointment regarding our policy, @CassioBanquo. As Southwest adapts to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we continually look for ways to support the well-being of our Customers and Employees. As part of our Southwest Promise, we require Customers and Employees to wear face coverings or masks, in accordance with public health guidance issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), since evidence demonstrates that COVID-19 can be spread by individuals who do not have symptoms and do not know that they are infected with the virus.

Effective July 27, due to the safety risk of COVID-19 transmission by individuals not wearing a face covering, Southwest began requiring that all Southwest Customers wear a face covering or mask over their nose and mouth, and there will be no exemptions to our face covering requirement, except for children under the age of two. If a Customer is unable to wear a face covering or mask for any reason, Southwest regrets that we will be unable to transport the individual. In those cases, we hope the Customer will allow us to welcome them onboard in the future, if public health guidance, or other safety-related circumstances, regarding face coverings changes.

Thank you,

Nicole
Community Manager

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@CassioBanquo wrote:

This is simply not true.

The science is clear that mask use helps slow the spread of corona virus. Earlier in this thread I posted many references to supporting studies, for anyone inclined to educate themselves.

wendywyatt40
Explorer C

thank you for posting.  i have been concerned about this.  i have been isolated since march outside of the US where masks are mandated and we have had 0 cases in our community.  i am worried about traveling (but need to due to the health of my mother) and trying to plan accordingly.

Sweety-D
Explorer A

The reason you are NOT flying SW is the reason I AM flying SW. If you are afraid to fly, then don't fly. Stay home and let the rest of us get on with our life. Don't force the entire world to adjust to your fears.