Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SWA cancelled our flight to due a brake issue

OKCRN
Explorer C

Our flight was cancelled by SWA because the brakes had a malfunction.  We have not gotten a refund although I have sent emails about this.  A Voucher for only $150  has been offered along with form letters of apology. 

The flight was stopped soon after we started to taxi away from the airport.  Soon, the pilot announced there was a brake issue.  The pilot called Maintenance and we saw them arrive to do the repairs and leave about 30 minutes later.  The pilot reported that the brakes were fixed but not the anti-lock feature which is required if the road was wet.  It had been misting that morning.  We waited at the gate for one hour as they tried to fix the anti lock feature but after about one hour the flight was cancelled. 

We had to book a flight with American to make our medical appointments since SWA had nothing that would work for us.  SWA had ONE customer service person assigned to help all the customers so there was a very long line of persons needing help.  We could not wait and assumed we would get a refund. 

Am I wrong to expect a refund?  Or at the very least a voucher for the full amount of our flight?  The policies I read on the website and the emails from SWA are not clear about our situation.  

Besides contacting Customer Service is there any other thing I can do?

Thanks for your help.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: SWA cancelled our flight to due a brake issue

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

If Southwest cancelled your flight, you are entitled to a refund. You don't get it automatically..

You get a travel fun automatically. You have to tell SW that you don't want a travel fund, but you want a refund.

You can do that via customer relations

contact customer relations 

OKCRN
Explorer C

Thank you for your reply.  I have emailed customer service 3 times asking for a refund. I get an email back with an general apology and a voucher offer. Never a reply or mention about the refund request!

I am beginning to wonder if they  consider the misting rain as the main reason for the flight being cancelled (and not the brakes).  Does misting rain prevent us from getting a refund?  Should I just continue sending emails? 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Whether it was weather or mechanical, if the flight was cancelled by Southwest and they did not rebook you on another flight, you are due a full refund, per the Southwest Contract of Carriage. (pdf)

The funds from your flight should now be held under the confirmation number. You can check that here.

If you think you can use those funds prior to their expiration, you are all set. Just apply them to your new booking.

I however would recommend you insist on a refund. Contact Customer Relations (it might be best at this point to call in, expect a possible long hold time).

Contact Customer Relations 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@chgoflyer I'm guessing that Southwest automatically rebooked them on another flight. They didn't stick around to talk to an agent. I'm guessing that Southwest rebooked them and then marked them as no shows.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@bwallet wrote:

@chgoflyer I'm guessing that Southwest automatically rebooked them on another flight. They didn't stick around to talk to an agent. I'm guessing that Southwest rebooked them and then marked them as no shows.

That's possible. If so, they should have received a no-show email notification, and their return trip would have been forfeited (if booked as a r/t).

If they were rebooked, Southwest knows they didn't fly, and by providing proof they flew on an alternate airline (if requested) they should be able to clarify the situation.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@OKCRN wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  I have emailed customer service 3 times asking for a refund. 

Note: several people said to contact customer RELATIONS ((handles post flight issues). That is a different part of SW than customer SERVICE. (handles preflight issues)