Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Safety

mgoin
Explorer C

I have a suggestion to help overall safety on Southwest flights.  I often sit in the exit row of the plane, and I always pay full discussion on what I should do in the event of an emergency.  I feel confident that I could perform all of the steps, but I would feel better if I could practice.  Is there any way that you could set up a mock door in a concourse at an airport allowing customers to practice opening the door?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Safety

FlyWithLUV
Frequent Flyer C

Here’s the closest thing you’ll get probably: https://youtu.be/ZW4xaHN1otE

You’re welcome to submit your suggestion to Southwest using the Contact Us link below.

bec102896
Aviator A

Work for Southwest as a FA and during training you will get to go down the slide and practice an emergency. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

No airline is going to set up that kind of training in the airport before the plane boards because people will feel like flying is unsafe.

For the same reasons that vehicle manufacturers fought safety improvements, the marketing people telling them that the customer felt unsafe, you will not see this type of training.

jksobonya
Aviator A

And this is why I don’t sit in the Exit rows generally - I am not confident performing the steps required. If I had actual practice, I may change my mind. 

— Jessica

floridaguy
Aviator C

Please contact Southwest's corporate office in Dallas and ask for 10 minutes to address the board.  

I would suggest that as a first step.

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

Flying is so so safe. Companies know 1 crash and company ends