Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Saving Seats/ Taking up extra seats

prash001
Explorer C

I like to practice standing up for myself when I fly Southwest. When I find a seat that I like, even if someone has put their things down, I just point to it and say “excuse me, I’m going to sit there”. People usually clear the seat. I’m a small woman so I’m not naturally intimidating.

Whenever I see people saving seats, it’s usually adult families who want to sit together or people who just want an extra empty seat next to them. Lots of couples save the seat in between them as well.

Seriously, everyone on the flight booked Southwest. No one is entitled to extra luxury. If you want that option, book with a different airline. Is this unreasonable? Some of us set alarms to check in promptly when other people count on saving seats. Some of us honor this open seating thing while other people occupy two seats in order to have extra room.

I know flight attendants are not required to tell people not to save seats. They shouldn’t have to tell full grown adults.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Saving Seats/ Taking up extra seats

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

There's no policy against saving seats. There's also no policy against being that person that likes to make things difficult for others

--TheMiddleSeat

QuineSinckclear
Explorer C

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@QuineSinckclear Earn A-List

--TheMiddleSeat

FlyWithLUV
Frequent Flyer C

@QuineSinckclear wrote:

@TheMiddleSeat

--TheMiddleSeat

@TheMiddleSeat

Check in exactly 24 hours before departure - even if that means setting an alarm at 5:00 AM.

domveenine
Adventurer A

Or, you could just be considerate of others.

If you're flying alone, does it really matter where you sit anyway? 

I, as a frequent solo traveler - pre-plan, set my alarm, download my boarding pass to my phone, and try to travel with a carry-on only - so I can get in, out, and on my way as quickly as possible. I'll admit that I'm not the most patient traveler. 

I also acknowledge that although I am very used to the airport environment, that may not be the case for some families with small kids, adults that have never flown before, or possibly those that haven't had the easiest time getting to where they are. Have you ever thought about how many passengers are on the same flight that arent traveling for business or some kind of celebration or vacation? Possibly traveling to see a loved one for the last time or put a loved one in their final resting place?

It doesn't cost an extra fee to just be kind to one another. 

With that said, I will leave you with your own advice; "no one is entitled to extra luxury. If you want that option, book with a different airline."

Safe travels and be kind 🙂

-You're Now Free To Move About The Country

nemrac917
Explorer C

We're a family of 5, so there's always going to be an extra seat when we fly.  If the flight isn't full, we WILL try to keep an open middle seat for the extra space.

However, if it's a full flight or such, we'll happily move.

Example: My daughter and I flew to Houston this past February on 2 not-quite-full flights.  When we first sat down, we sat in the aisle and window seat.  However, as boarding continued, when someone asked if they could sit in the middle seat, I happily moved over and gave them the aisle seat.

Yes, we like the extra space, but we're not going to be rude about it.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Many good answers, the top one is to gain ALIST and get an early seat, but if your still saving a seat, you're just doing it closer to the front of the plane.  No flight attendants aren't going around and enforcing this, but I've heard many times an announcement that you can't save seats.  Since I fly with my wife, (I'm A List, she isn't) I always have to board and hope to keep one of the other 2 seats from being filled.  When one is filled, (because I don't deny someone from sitting down) the other one is still open.  Normally most people actually ask, "is someone sitting there?"  I reply, my wife is coming, but I can't stop you from sitting there.  I've never had anyone decide to take that seat.  If my wife gets on and there is still one seat left, I do as someone else on here mentioned, I move to the middle and give them the isle seat.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

Just put a carry on / computer case / jacket in the "saved" seat, Most won't ask if someone is sitting there

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Just put a carry on / computer case / jacket in the "saved" seat, Most won't ask if someone is sitting there

My only exception to this is the extra legroom exit row seats. Don’t be trying to save both of the other seats. Either aisle or window, plus a middle doesn’t bother me.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.