Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Sitting near a over the wing exit my favorite place to sit on. A Southwest plane

Ron737
Explorer C

based on my past experience flying on southwest airlines. I always felt safe sitting near or by a over the wing exit preferably by the engine. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Sitting near a over the wing exit my favorite place to sit on. A Southwest plane

dfwskier
Aviator A

That and being seated near the center of the plane always yield a smoother ride.

Re: Sitting near a over the wing exit my favorite place to sit on. A Southwest plane

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I've thought it over many times about writing this, but, here goes.  It has also been determined that the further to the back of the plane to better the chance to survive a crash.  But like you, I like that seat too.  Unfortunately for me, my wife doesn't, so I'm usually in the first 10 rows.  When I fly alone, I snag that seat for the leg room.   May now be getting it for the fact one row only has 2 seats. 

Re: Sitting near a over the wing Great choice! Siexit my favorite place to sit on. A Southwest plane

sarafoster
Explorer B

Great choice! Sitting near an over-the-wing exit on a Southwest plane can offer several advantages, such as more legroom, easier access to the aisle, and a better view of the wing during the flight. However, keep in mind that these seats come with additional responsibilities, such as being able to assist in an emergency situation if needed.

Witan2005
Explorer C

Sitting near the over-wing exit on a Southwest plane can be a great choice for several reasons. Firstly, you often get a bit more legroom in these seats compared to others in the cabin, which can make your journey more comfortable, especially on longer flights. Additionally, being near the exit means you have relatively easy access to the aisle, allowing you to move around more freely during the flight without disturbing other passengers.

Another benefit is that sitting near the over-wing exit can provide you with a better view outside the plane, as you're typically positioned closer to the windows. This can be especially enjoyable if you enjoy looking out at the scenery below or watching the plane's wings during takeoff and landing.

However, it's important to keep in mind that sitting near an exit row also comes with certain responsibilities. Passengers seated in these rows are usually required to assist the crew in case of an emergency evacuation, so it's essential to pay attention to the pre-flight safety briefing and be prepared to follow instructions from the flight attendants if needed.

Overall, if you enjoy the extra legroom, easy access to the aisle, and potentially better views, then sitting near the over-wing exit on a Southwest plane can indeed be a great choice!

Whoseeps
Explorer C

That's a great spot! Sitting near the over-wing exit on a Southwest plane gives you a good view and a sense of spaciousness. Plus, it's one of the most comfortable places to sit if you're looking for a smoother ride. Do you enjoy watching the wing flex during takeoff and landing?

Stootherents
Explorer C

It's great to hear that you have found sitting near the overwing exit, preferably by the engine, to be your favorite place to sit on Southwest planes based on your past experiences. Many passengers prefer these seats for various reasons, including feeling safer, having more legroom, and enjoying the view.

Sitting near the overwing exit can indeed provide a sense of security for some passengers. These seats are often closer to the aircraft's wings, which are typically considered to be one of the safest parts of the plane in the event of an emergency landing or evacuation. Additionally, being near the engine can provide a reassuring feeling of being close to the aircraft's power source.

Furthermore, seats near the overwing exit often offer extra legroom, which can contribute to a more comfortable flying experience, especially on longer flights. This additional space can be particularly beneficial for passengers who value comfort and mobility during their journey.

Overall, it's great that you have found a preferred seating option that makes you feel safe and comfortable while flying with Southwest Airlines. Remember to always follow the airline's safety instructions and guidelines, especially when seated near emergency exits, to ensure a safe and enjoyable flight experience.