Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Social Distancing Durinv Boarding and on Flights

jrmccarthy
Explorer C

How is Southwest currently handling social distancing in the Boarding process?  Have they altered the process to allow proper distancing?  Also, is it at all possible to practice social distancing during the flights assuming the planes are not full?  Will the flight attendants assist in this regard by suggesting certain seats?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Social Distancing Durinv Boarding and on Flights

bec102896
Aviator A

On my flight a week and a half a go there were only 17 people so distancing was not a problem during boarding as people didn't crowd around in the 5 people sections and on the flight we were all way spread out. 

I'm not sure if anything different is happening on fuller flights.  

pazzino
Explorer C

Yeah, This is now a problem because SW is cancelling thousands of flights, now cramming people into on flight only for the day, when they had a dozen flights to the same destination. In fact, they just cancelled my return flight for tomorrow putting me on that one flight only. I can tell from my boarding pass there will be no social distancing. I didn't want to fly at all, but my mom is not doing good 8 weeks into her Chemo and is sick. I hope i am not going to get this virus on this SW flight.

bec102896
Aviator A

@pazzino wrote:

Yeah, This is now a problem because SW is cancelling thousands of flights, now cramming people into on flight only for the day, when they had a dozen flights to the same destination. In fact, they just cancelled my return flight for tomorrow putting me on that one flight only. I can tell from my boarding pass there will be no social distancing. I didn't want to fly at all, but my mom is not doing good 8 weeks into her Chemo and is sick. I hope i am not going to get this virus on this SW flight.

Sorry to hear your mom isn't doing well hopefully she will get better soon. 

With the boarding number keep in mind A1-15 are business select so if there is no one in that group that could help with 15 less people in front of you. Could you report back later if they are taking any measures on your flight and how full it is. I personally would be interested to see if anything has changed. 

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

Great question, and thank you for reaching out. Our Employees are encouraging Customers to space out at comfortable distances both in the boarding process and onboard to support the well-being of all. Our Gate Agents are encouraged to have Customers spread out in their boarding groups as well as board in smaller groups to prevent lines in the jetbridge, and our Flight Attendants are empowered to invite Customers to space out at comfortable distances onboard our flights. Our open seating policy also supports easier social distancing without seating restrictions during this unprecedented time.

Nicole
Community Manager

GCStanley
Explorer C

So to be clear — If my flight indicates  - SOLD OUT —-will every seat be full?

davedurfee
Explorer B

I want an answer to the SAME question asked by GCStanley... if the plane is sold out or almost full, will Southwest truly expect people who don't know one another to sit side by side???  It's one thing to say, gosh folks, just spread out.  But I have a flight on Memorial Day.  I'm expecting that there will be passengers for every seat that Southwest has available.  

So... in order to maximize revenue, WILL SOUTHWEST IGNORE SOCIAL DISTANCING AND REQUIRE PASSENGERS TO SIT BESIDE PASSENGERS THAT THEY DON'T KNOW???