Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Someone tell me why I should continue to fly this airline

7summits
Explorer C

I am at a loss.  This airline is gone downhill so much in the last few years and is so incredibly behind from a customer experience  and technology perspective when compared to Delta for example.  

I am currently in flight right now and I likely my last with Southwest.  I have been companion pass the last 4 years with minimal credit card spend. 

I am genuinely looking for feedback from other customers here to see if I am just extremely unlucky 30-40 times a year.  Here are my concerns:

1). Still no power in the seats.  I swear I read late last year there would be power on their new planes and they would be retrofitting exiting 787-Max’s.  In the last month, I have been on 3 max aircraft and no power.  I was on one brand new plane…we were the first passengers to fly on it.  Again no power.  No power on the 4 Hawaii flights I have flown over the past year.  How is there not power outlets on southwest aircraft still?  
2).  50/50 chance the Wi-Fi works.  My flight to on Monday…no Wi-Fi.  Flight right now yes Wi-Fi.  Flights a few weeks ago…no Wi-Fi on either flight.   And when there is Wi-Fi, we are dealing with dial up internet speed at best.  Again, read some article late last year that Southwest was going to arrive in the 21st century and provide high speed internet on flights.  
3). The pre boarding process is absurd and out of hand.  I generally fly business select and expect to be in the first few rows.  The amount of times that i see people who clearly don’t need to pre board is becoming all too common.  It is disrespectful to the people who actually need to pre board.  It is a common joke among the business select about how many pre boarders there will be today who limp to the ticket agent and then run down the jet bridge.  The only way to solve this problem is to assign seats or require anyone who is not in a wheelchair or clearly has a disability to sit beyond row 5.  
4).  Delays.  Every single flight is delayed.  The turn around time for fights is absolutely unattainable.  My flight today had a scheduled departure time of 4:15pm. The inbound flight had a scheduled arrival time at 3:30pm.  How do they expect to deplane and board a full Max plane in 45 minutes.  We ended up departing at 4:43pm.  Who sets these schedules?   

This is my first time posting here.  Never knew this forum existed until I tried to leave feedback for SW in the Ap.  

Curious to hear feedback from other frequent travelers.  

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Someone tell me why I should continue to fly this airline

dfwskier
Aviator A

@7summits wrote:

Well, I understand your pain, and only you can determine whether or not the pain is enough to get you to stop flying SW. In my life, I have gotten to that point with 2 carriers. Me, I've been A-List since the program started and have been a 30 year RR member.

I am at a loss.  This airline is gone downhill so much in the last few years and is so incredibly behind from a customer experience  and technology perspective when compared to Delta for example.  

And yet JD Power last month rated SW the best of the economy cafriers in customer satisfaction. 

I am currently in flight right now and I likely my last with Southwest.  I have been companion pass the last 4 years with minimal credit card spend. 

I am genuinely looking for feedback from other customers here to see if I am just extremely unlucky 30-40 times a year.  Here are my concerns:

1). Still no power in the seats.  I swear I read late last year there would be power on their new planes and they would be retrofitting exiting 787-Max’s.  In the last month, I have been on 3 max aircraft and no power.  I was on one brand new plane…we were the first passengers to fly on it.  Again no power.  No power on the 4 Hawaii flights I have flown over the past year.  How is there not power outlets on southwest aircraft still?  

Boeing has had trouble delivering new planes to SW. Fewer new planes means fewer new planes with seat back power. I think Boeing delivered the first such plane last month. I do not know the schedule for retrofitting planes 

2).  50/50 chance the Wi-Fi works.  My flight to on Monday…no Wi-Fi.  Flight right now yes Wi-Fi.  Flights a few weeks ago…no Wi-Fi on either flight.   And when there is Wi-Fi, we are dealing with dial up internet speed at best.  Again, read some article late last year that Southwest was going to arrive in the 21st century and provide high speed internet on flights.  

New planes are getting a new WiFi provider, and the new setup is supposed to be much more robust than the old setup.As mentioned above, SW is having big troubles actually getting new planes from Boeing.  Existing aircraft are being upgraded but the upgraded setup will never be as robust as the new one.

3). The pre boarding process is absurd and out of hand.  I generally fly business select and expect to be in the first few rows.  The amount of times that i see people who clearly don’t need to pre board is becoming all too common.  It is disrespectful to the people who actually need to pre board.  It is a common joke among the business select about how many pre boarders there will be today who limp to the ticket agent and then run down the jet bridge.  The only way to solve this problem is to assign seats or require anyone who is not in a wheelchair or clearly has a disability to sit beyond row 5.

The pre boarding process is mandated by federal law. SW really can't control it because , by law, anyone who claims a need to pre board, must be allowed to preboard. Alo the airline cannot treat pre board passengers differently than all other passengers. So it cannot mandate where they choose to sit because it does not mandate where other passengers may sit.

4).  Delays.  Every single flight is delayed.  The turn around time for fights is absolutely unattainable.  My flight today had a scheduled departure time of 4:15pm. The inbound flight had a scheduled arrival time at 3:30pm.  How do they expect to deplane and board a full Max plane in 45 minutes.  We ended up departing at 4:43pm.  Who sets these schedules?   

Recently Sw is seeing more delays than the competition. For 2022 SW had about 72% of flights arrive on time, while the legacy carriers came in at 78% to 79% 

This is my first time posting here.  Never knew this forum existed until I tried to leave feedback for SW in the Ap.  

Curious to hear feedback from other frequent travelers.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

continuing --

so you can carry a power bank until seat back power gets in. You  have to decide what two free bags, no fee to cancel or change and CP are worth to you. 

Then there is the ability to no cost change your flight on day of travel (assuming you are A-List) and then you can board your new flight at A-61 and likely snag an aisle or window in the front half of the plane. Make that change on the legacies and you will get a middle set somewhere.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I will agree with your frustration on all points.

With regard to the preboarding, you cannot restrict their seating other than in exit rows.  The preboard is Federal law and the problem comes due to Southwest's open seating policy.  In this policy, the preboard customers get the best choice of seats.  

This problem has become such a heated discussion that a song has become popular at certain airports.

In my opinion, Business Select is a complete waste of money.

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

An easy fix to preforming abuse would be, for the same reason preborders need to get on first, flag their seats and, for their safety, have them disembark last. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

The Air Carrier Access Act governs preboarding.  It outlines how airlines have to accommodate those who "self identify" with a disability.  There is no roped-off area or shaming that is permitted.

In addition, the airline is prohibited from probing further about their disability.  In fact, an individual can do back-flips and acrobatics all the way to the gate, "self identify" as an individual with a disability, preboard, then at some point, withdraw their claim.  Since the law requires that the individual "self identify" each time they board the plane, the status must disappear at some point anyway.

Get off the backs of those who preboard.  If you want assigned seats, many other airlines offer just that.

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

"An easy fix to preforming abuse would be, for the same reason preborders need to get on first, flag their seats and, for their safety, have them disembark last. "

Preboarders need extra time to board, most often. So, also means they need time to disembark and you want them to be last off?  What if they have a connection flight to make? Slow to board also means slow to maneuver the airport.  have some compassion. 

I know that some abuse the preboard rules, but not all.  And not all disabilities can be seen.  You all get a seat on the plane and all get to your destination.  Not in your favorite/preferred seat? My husband, who has cerebral palsy and looks normal while standing, would gladly give up his seat to anyone who asked in exchange for not being disabled.  My husband is usually one of the last to preboard because he is considerate of others, but it is difficult for him to stand too long.  He makes sacrifices also.  It's time all the complainers be thankful you have a plane to get on, or can afford to fly it.  You could have to drive to your destination, oh wait, you can't drive to Hawaii for all of those trips you are able to afford. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@PDFelter wrote:

I know that some abuse the preboard rules, but not all.  And not all disabilities can be seen.  You all get a seat on the plane and all get to your destination.  Not in your favorite/preferred seat? My husband, who has cerebral palsy and looks normal while standing, would gladly give up his seat to anyone who asked in exchange for not being disabled.  My husband is usually one of the last to preboard because he is considerate of others, but it is difficult for him to stand too long.  He makes sacrifices also.  It's time all the complainers be thankful you have a plane to get on, or can afford to fly it.  You could have to drive to your destination, oh wait, you can't drive to Hawaii for all of those trips you are able to afford. 

Louis CK had a bit "Everything is amazing and no one is happy" to paraphrase we are enjoying the miracle of flight in a metal tube 40,000 feet in the air going 500 miles per hour across the country in six hours but the whole thing stinks because the wi-fi isn't working.

But for the OP @7summits I have saved a ton of money on checked bags, no change fees, for a relatively moderate amount of flying I'm treated well as an A-list member, and generally good customer service (There are 50,000+ employees they can't be 100%).

I'd like better wifi as well but I know it's spotty and plan to work around it. Overall life is good. My limited experience with the legacies did not win me over. The only thing I've liked as much was flying Porter to Billy Bishop in Toronto. So on the MDW to Toronto route it is Porter, Southwest everywhere else, and then UA/DL/AA if I must.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

Has Southwest had issues lately YES I’ll agree with that then again no airline is perfect. 

A 28min delay is nothing if you can’t survive your day with a 28min delay you should probably get a private jet 

You mention you have companion pass does delta have that (for any flight you take not a choice benefit that has no restrictions?) 

delta charges you to use your benefits. meaning instead of buying the cheapest flight you have to pay at least $30 more to go from Basic economy to Economy just to get your free preferred seats or chance at an upgrade or on some airlines just to get points 

delays EVERY AIRLINE HAS THEM and yes I have had quite a few with Southwest lately but I’ve also had a bunch with Delta, spirit, Frontier, United it’s just apart of air travel if you travel enough to have a companion pass you would know that and then you should know to allow for at least a 4 hour window before a meeting because you should always expect the unexpected  your better off having an hour to relax in a hotel before a meeting instead of losing a job because you book a meeting an hour after your scheduled arrival 

meltdowns: yes southwest had a big one however Delta has had them as well but to me the difference in how Delta and SW handled their meltdowns was very different. Sw: refunded all of my reasonable expenses Delta: sleep in ATL and a week after they recovered here is a $200 voucher for a 3 day delay 

Wi-Fi: yes Southwest is behind I’m A List preferred so Wi-Fi is free for me and yes it was awful in the last few years however I have seen improvement not perfect yet but installing new equipment takes time. 

in seat power: a new Hawaii themed aircraft just started service recently it was the first to get in seat power it takes time to install that on old aircraft’s because they have to take planes out of service to do that and the few hours overnight isn’t enough time to do hundreds of airplanes 

45min turn: I’ve been on full flights that have done 30min turns 700 series aircraft’s they usually do the turn in 35min 800/max is usually 45min. Aircraft swaps can mess that up as well as any maintenance or boarding delays 

why i choose SW over the other guys: 2 free checked bags NO CREDIT CARD WITH THE AIRLINE REQUIRED. No BS to earn points or use my status (basic economy nonsense). When I have an issue a simple tweet or email and usually an apology and voucher or solution such as rebooking in minimal time. 

here is what I would do send a nice email to the airline explaining the issues you have had allow them to try and make it right. Major delays include the confirmation number that way they can review and possibly issue a voucher. Airlines and companies can only improve if the customers like you and me share the feedback. Will all of your problems be fixed overnight NO and you shouldn’t expect that but hopefully by sharing feedback it will help them to improve as time goes on. Before you say they don’t care or don’t listen think about the Wi-Fi and in seat power lots of people sent feedback and look those issues are being addressed (slowly yes but still being addressed) 

I may be on here a lot but look I’m a customer just like you and I’ve had my share of issues lately as well I just think Southwest cares about the customer more than other airlines during IROPS once they are made aware and given the chance to make it right. 

Bill5303
Explorer A

The people of Southwest  Airlines are what makes the difference. I wouldn’t fly any other airline. The people are like family. Other airlines just simply lack that feeling.