Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Southwest NOT resuming alcohol service after recent events

gsking
Aviator C

Maybe it's time to reconsider the mask mandate.   75% of the passengers flying to Hawaii have been vaccinated,  and 100% have been tested negative prior to the flight. 

And yet the flight attendants are more surly than ever... stating that if they see your nose twice... once after warning you... you will be met by authorities when they land. 

This is absurd,  illogical,  and completely at  odds with the SWA attitude.   Yes,  they have to follow FAA rules.. technically.   But this level of enforcement is unnecessary. 

The pushback and disdain will only get worse.   If the FAA doesn't do anything before September,  it's up to SWA to use their wisdom to mitigate the issue,  not exacerbate it. 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@gsking Not sure how you strayed off-topic on the, "no alcohol" thread.  But I will try and answer and move us back on track.  I hear you about the Hawaii flights since negative tests are part of the equation.  But that still doesn't mean that within the 3 days somebody isn't exposed and is a carrier, that's my only argument.  

Now to the alcohol issue.  I don't have the definitive answer to that either, but agree with why do we punish the masses for the action of the others.  However, I've always been an advocate for limiting alcohol purchase to one drink per flight, with the adjustment to longer non-stop, but with an appropriate time in-between.  I've actually seen a guy, (must have been a west coast frat champion) get his beer and while the FA was giving the drinks to those seated next to him, slam it and give the FA the can, and asks, "when you get a chance can I get another one?"  And on her next trip down the aisle, he is granted his request, about 3 minutes.  In all, on a 2:20 min flight he had 3 IPA's (higher alcohol content) On that person's behalf, he never got loud or rude or anything like that, I'm just bringing it up to show there could be a time limitation between drinks.   

gsking
Aviator C

The point is.. the masks are what's causing the aggravation,  even without the alcohol.   It's not the other way around. 

And once 75% of the people are vaccinated,  are you seriously implying the risk of someone catching Covid in those 72 hours is worth completely overenforcing mask rules on the plane?   By your logic,  they'll never come off.   Well,  except for when eating.   

And those masks wouldn't prevent those same infected people from getting off in Hawaii and infecting everyone... which they are not. 

That's my point.   What started as "flatten the curve" and "follow the science" has now become "Every single restriction possible must be put in place regardless of the statistical benefit.   If it saves just ONE infection,  then it's worth it".  By that metric,  we will literally NEVER  get past this. 

And that is what people are getting belligerent.   Infection rates are going down,  immunizations are going up,  and yet the restrictions are WORSE now than they were a year ago. 

I'm flying to Montana right now.   I look forward to not wearing this stupid mask all weekend.   I have no one within 6 feet on this plane.   Give me a logical reason why I should get harassed for poking my immunized and Covid tested nose out of my mask. 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@gsking Since you said, "logical" I'm speechless.  😚  I'm on board with you to some extent and don't disregard your personal thinking.  In my own head, I'm thinking you're right, we had issues with folks acting up because of alcohol long before masks were in existence.  I'm sure you will get your wish soon, and we can go back to masks of choice, which I will continue to use.  Have a fun time in Montana.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Many businesses request masks only for the unvaccinated now, but I still carry a mask with me at all times and wear it when a business requires it. It's not a big deal to me, and I'm respectful of each businesses requirements. This is regardless of my personal beliefs about mask use at this time. If a mask is required by a particular business, I abide by that. Their business, their rules. I don't try to circumvent the rule by not wearing a mask, or improperly wearing one. I don't yell and stomp my feet and make a scene and act like a child. I'm an adult, I understand rules and I understand the basics of living in a polite society.

Some people, however, seem to believe that rules don't apply to them.

The issues we're seeing are directly a result of these people and their entitled beliefs.

gsking
Aviator C

@chgoflyer wrote:

Their business, their rules.

Except it's not.   It's their business,  but the FAA'S rules.   And as we hear on every flight,  they are TIRED of enforcing them. 

I'm all for letting airlines decide whether to enforce the mask rules.   Let the customers decide. 

That's the way it is in Montana.   Much nicer than living under the idiot running California.  Here,  they just suggest you wear a mask if you're not vaccinated.   And we all get along. 

And obscenely low air fares to BZN still available. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I think what you're "hearing" on flights is the FA's exhaustion over dealing with idiots who refuse to follow the rules.

The flight attendants union lobbied to have the mask rule extended through September.

My point, again, is that regardless of what you or I or anyone else thinks, there is a rule in place. 

Again, the problems are caused by people who feel the rules do not apply to them.

PetertheProphet
Adventurer B

Rules have to be within the scope of the law. Demanding that customers smother themselves with a medical device (aka face mask) is unlawful as it constitutes practicing medicine without a license. 

Private property rights are not absolute. You could make the case that they SHOULD be absolute (which I don't necessarily disagree with), but that's not how it currently works.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@PetertheProphet wrote:

Rules have to be within the scope of the law. Demanding that customers smother themselves with a medical device (aka face mask) is unlawful as it constitutes practicing medicine without a license. 

Private property rights are not absolute. You could make the case that they SHOULD be absolute (which I don't necessarily disagree with), but that's not how it currently works.

Gimme a break.

If you really believe that, you really should take the feds to court. Ranting here will change nothing.

Get back to us with the court's  decision...

PetertheProphet
Adventurer B

And no, they don't have the right to enforce unlawful edicts. The FAA could demand that all passengers be made to sample heroin for entry, it still wouldn't make it legal. 

The idea that airlines are "private" is also debatable since the private ownership of the airlines is a mere illusion. In practice, they're controlled by the State and even received BILLIONS of taxpayer dollars as part of some "relief package" last spring. 

"Just following orders" was determined to be an INVALID excuse during the Nuremberg Trials. Airlines can certainly set rules about not using the bathroom while the plane is taking off or fastening one's seat belt; they can't, however, demand that we wear medical devices if we want to fly to our destination.