Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest NOT resuming alcohol service after recent events

YeahNoMaybe
Adventurer A

From CNN:

Southwest Airlines not resuming alcohol service after assault on flight attendant

(CNN) — Southwest Airlines said Friday it will not resume alcohol service as planned after the recent assault on one of its flight attendants, according to an internal memo obtained by CNN.

Sonya Lacore, Southwest's head of in-flight operations, wrote in the memo related to alcohol service that "based on the rise in passenger disruptions in flight, I've made the decision to re-evaluate the restart of alcohol service on board."

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Southwest NOT resuming alcohol service after recent events

dfwskier
Aviator A

unfortunate but not surprising given that inebriated people are more likely to be unruly.

I guess my drink coupons live on. 

buzzchris
Adventurer B

I use to fly as an LEO but not as an air marshal. The flight crew knew we were LEOs (with gun and badge).  I had to intervene more than twice on unruly passengers that were either  drunk, loud, profane, disruptive, or confrontational towards the FAs.  Drunks were the worse.  I have seen a few passengers who absolutely refused to comply with safety procedures.    So, I am glad SW will not continue their alcohol service,.at least for now.  Also, why I am against bars at the airports.   A fight I had in the last year: a drunk puking over the other passengers in his row. 

Passenger1C
Aviator C

This is another example how a few “bad seeds” ruin it for everyone. Those who are out of line deserve to be handled individually and not as a group. I wouldn’t count on other carriers following this extreme decision. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Sadly, it's more than a few.

American announced the same today.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Well, darn. 

Maybe in a few more months ...

--Jessica

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Sadly, it shows that many folks lack self control 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Bah. The problem isn't people getting drunk on the plane. If anything, it is people getting drunk at the airport so perhaps they should ban alcohol sales there. 

5280Av8r
Frequent Flyer C

Yea, that or limit it to one drink per person, but then you might run the risk of people bar hopping at the larger airports. Who even wants to get drunk before a flight anyway, that always baffles me.

DEN (CLT) Based | Aviation Enthusiast | Full of Passion for Southwest

jksobonya
Aviator A

@5280Av8r wrote:

Who even wants to get drunk before a flight anyway, that always baffles me.

The same people who get hopped up on meds before a flight - nervous fliers would be my guess.

--Jessica