Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest is robbing people

Carissamckeever
Explorer C

Hi I think that southwest is the worst. I think it’s unfair how I spent $4,000 on airline tickets and they aren’t refunding me. I am sorry it is not our fault that we can’t travel due to the corona virus. We are not aloud to travel for non essential travel. I asked them to at least give me a credit to my account but they will not they said they had to do it for each and every individual ticket. I am sorry I purchased the tickets on my card so I am sorry we lost our jobs and could use the money and do not wish to give out free tickets it should be credited to the person who purchased the tickets. They really don’t care that millions of people have lost their jobs and that could really use the refund especially if they aren’t aloud to fly due to the shut down. I will not be flying southwest because their customer service is the worst 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Southwest is robbing people

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Unfortunately no airline is providing cash refunds on non-refundable tickets and as you found out, travel funds are associated with the passengers from the original flight.

--TheMiddleSeat

SWPosterChild
Explorer B

I am SHOCKED to see the title of this your message. Southwest provides the most flexible, transparent, reasonable, fantastic rewards program, user friendly policies of ANYONE in the industry!  And they always do it with a huge smile. The travel situation that the Corona Virus has created is not their fault! I'm getting regular emails regarding how their travel fund policies are changing to accommodate this unfortunate set of circumstances. Including, greatly extending expiration dates, potential conversion to points, and ability to book for another passenger.  AND if there are questions, there is ALWAYS a very helpful & friendly customer service representative available on the phone to assist as needed.  I too have had to cancel many flights but look forward to rebooking as able when it is possible and will definitely do it with Southwest because they are the ONLY airline that makes be feel appreciated as a customer. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

Thanks for the vote of confidence for Southwest, @SWPosterChild! Southwest is continuing to adjust policies as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to unfold. They are absolutely looking out for all customers whose travel plans have been affected by this 🙂 

Thanks,

Jessica

gsking
Aviator C

Carissa, 

Tough times for everyone, indeed.  To be realistic, SWA would be pretty bad off if they refunded everyone's money .  So would every airline .  They would be laying off MORE people .  It's unfortunate you lost your job, to be sure .  But SWA is trying to balance everyone's needs. 

They do offer a consolation that all your paid travel funds can be converted over to rewards points.  This way, they won't expire , and can be used for any traveler.  Maybe not as good as cash in your pocket, but closer.

Hope that help .  Good luck. 

Vegas65Todd
Explorer C

Southwest is looking to get 12 billion, yet they nickle and dime their loyal customers.

mikegrant
Explorer C

I agree. I just filed a complaint with the DOT and FAA. I am also writing to my US congressional representatives. I had a flight scheduled this week and due to travel restrictions needed to cancel. I asked for a refund due to a flight being unavailable on my return. They told me the flight was unavailable because the flight was full. Southwest is lying to customers and playing games with their flight schedules to force people to cancel a flight before they do. There are flights tomorrow that are showing "unavailable" that are cancelled. I am not letting this go. If my return flight is cancelled I will be filing another complaint with DOT and FAA.

Southwest accepting Billions in public money 💰 to stay solvent but refusing the refund peoples money that they may need to pay for food and other necessities is abhorrent.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@mikegrant wrote:

I agree. I just filed a complaint with the DOT and FAA. I am also writing to my US congressional representatives. I had a flight scheduled this week and due to travel restrictions needed to cancel. I asked for a refund due to a flight being unavailable on my return. They told me the flight was unavailable because the flight was full.

There is some type of misunderstanding there. Airlines do not say a flight is full and you can't get on well in advance of flight time  " That only happens at the airport at flight time.

Also, it is likely that not one single flight in the world is  anywhere close to full at this moment.

That being said, if your return flight was cancelled, you are entitled to a refund. I am assuming you bought a round trip ticket.

Southwest is lying to customers and playing games with their flight schedules to force people to cancel a flight before they do. There are flights tomorrow that are showing "unavailable" that are cancelled.

Cancelled flights normally show as "unavailable" to prevent more people from buying tickets on the flights. At an airport on the date of flight the airport tote board would show a flight as cancelled, but I've NEVER seen a  flight listed.as cancelled on line..

I am not letting this go. If my return flight is cancelled I will be filing another complaint with DOT and FAA.

Southwest accepting Billions in public money 💰 to stay solvent but refusing the refund peoples money that they may need to pay for food and other necessities is abhorrent.

Actually, the  money that Southwest received is earmarked to pay salaries of workers that are idle and would have been laid off without the billions.

Sans the billions,

The airline likely would have remained solvent, but would have laid off tens of thousands of workers.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@mikegrant wrote:

I agree. I just filed a complaint with the DOT and FAA. I am also writing to my US congressional representatives. I had a flight scheduled this week and due to travel restrictions needed to cancel. I asked for a refund due to a flight being unavailable on my return. They told me the flight was unavailable because the flight was full. Southwest is lying to customers and playing games with their flight schedules to force people to cancel a flight before they do. There are flights tomorrow that are showing "unavailable" that are cancelled. I am not letting this go. If my return flight is cancelled I will be filing another complaint with DOT and FAA.

Unfortunately, it is true that carriers -- including Southwest -- are playing a game of chicken with customers right now, hoping the customer will cancel before the carrier does.

Here's an article with some examples. It's euro-centric, so the flyer rights section doesn't apply, but the rest translates well to current domestic carrier actions we're seeing.

The Evil Cancellation Game Airlines Are Playing With Passengers…

I was recently on Euro News discussing airline cancellation issues, and there’s a key distinction when it comes to your passenger rights. If the airline cancels, you’re entitled to a refund. If you cancel, even if travel isn’t possible, you’re left with nothing more than a voucher, at best.

This conundrum is leading airlines to play evil games with passengers, refusing to cancel flights until the last minute, in hopes of coaxing passengers into cancelling on their own. The reasons for doing so are huge, but the ethics behind it are questionable at best…

All around the world, airlines are intentionally not cancelling flights until the very last minute, or informing customers of “schedule changes” rather than cancellations, specifically to avoid refund rules.

In recent weeks, The United States and European Union each reiterated legal guidance to airlines that if a flight is cancelled, a refund must be offered – not just a voucher. Following the guidance, too many airlines are now choosing to play games with their schedules, to avoid the ruling.

Remember that, with Southwest, you have up until 10 minutes prior to departure in which to cancel and not fall victim to the no-show forfeiture. With phone lines jammed and reports of being unable to change or cancel some itineraries online, I wouldn't wait that long myself... I'd recommend checking on the morning of travel.