Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Stewards and stewardesses

phinsn98
Explorer C

I’m confused…. One of the reasons I’ve flown on SW preferably for the last 20 years is because of the in flight hospitality.

I've noticed recently that the staff seems oddly stiff.  As if I was flying on American or Delta.

Uniforms…. Oddly professional…. No shorts or polos…

demeanor…. Oddly stuffy…. No jokes over the PA

Age…. I’m not seeing young, vibrant or fun members taking care of your customers…

For the first time in 20 years I made reservations with your competitors because there’s nothing I see at this point that differentiates you from others other then the free bag.

Bring back the fun!  The people that didn’t follow a canned script and had a personality.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Stewards and Stewardesses

dfwskier
Aviator A

FIrst of all, there are no Stewards and Stewardesses.   They are called Flight Attendants and have been for well over a decade.

As far as humor goes, I guess that you have been unlucky. At about half the flights I've taken over the last few years the FA's have tried to liven things up with some humor.

If you decide which airline to fly base on how many "yucks" you get from the FAs, your flying priorities are vastly different than those of almost every other flyer.

TravelGuru
Explorer A

lol FAs are rude and yes it makes a difference. I am not using SW on my next flight because of this.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TravelGuru wrote:

lol FAs are rude and nasty and yes it makes a difference. I am not using SW on my next flight because of this.

Thank you - more room for me...

Re: Stewards and stewardesses

jksobonya
Aviator A

I've had really awesome flight attendants on my last couple of flights. One of them held their iPhone over their mouth so when he talked it looked like a funny cartoon face talking. And of course, going to Vegas I hear the "Welcome to Lost Wages" joke all the time 🤣 I think they are trying their best, just like everyone else is. 

--Jessica

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Huh. I wonder if there could be any reason for FAs to be less "fun" than they used to be. Any reason at all. Maybe something happening globally that's dramatically affected the travel industry?

Goforwand1
Adventurer B

For many of the Flight Attendants, there's not a lot to joke about and there isn't much "fun" these days.

We had a lengthy conversation with a SWA Flight Attendant before we boarded a flight to Punta Cana and she mentioned that the crews are on edge due to all the morons with attitudes on flying these days.

She mentioned they are on high alert for these idiots that feel the rules don't apply to them and decide they want to be disruptive at 39,000 feet.

She said things aren't getting any better....

YeahNoMaybe
Adventurer A

I may be completely wrong but I think with the surge in bad passenger behavior being reported in the media and the battles over masks on airplanes, I bet a lot of flight attendants are taking a more serious tone and approach to their jobs to set the right atmosphere - "This is not the place to be acting like a fool" - and to establish their position as a person with authority - not your buddy.

Again... I could be wrong.  

TravelGuru
Explorer A

Totally agree. The last flight I took from Sarasota to Houston was a nightmare. The flight attendants were heinous. They were angry mean and rude. While people were boarding one who was so fat she barely fit in the galley - looked at her phone the whole time. Then she told us in an angry voice ‘We will have an abbreviated drink service. No alcohol so don’t ask. Do not remove your mask to order! You will hold up your fingers 1-Coke, 2-Sprite, 3-Diet Coke, 4-Water’ Like a nazi camp. My Mom and I started laughing. Then she is touching all the dirty cabinets and shoving her hand in some drawer digging for cups and then comes around with a laminated card with pictures of drinks and shoves it in our faces. We just said ‘water’ and refused to hold up our fingers with a number sign ‘4’. She huffed and walked off. Only brought ONE water and had her grubby hands on the rim of the glad. Horrible service. Then while people were drinking she said ‘only lower your mask to take a bite or a sip. Do not leave your mask lowered for an extended period of time!’ What a moron lol. As if lowering for the first sip wouldn’t spread the virus!!! How stupid do you have to be to believe this bull**bleep**? Lowering and raising the mask would cause it to spread more. One day the absolute ridiculous arrogance of these nazis will be looked back on in shame.

phinsn98
Explorer C

The irony….  I reply from SW…