Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Stuck overnight in Denver no hotels available, SWA we need more than Snack Mix and Brownies Brittle

WilliamRPeowski
Explorer C

Our trip to Yellowstone NP and the Grand Tetons was 2 years in the planning. It was to be a trip of a lifetime.It started out with a lost day at the beginning of the trip and an extra night in a hotel when SWA cancelled our first day flight. 

After a wonderful time in the National parks, our flight from Bozeman to Denver was 2 hours late, and our connecting flight to Hartford left without us.

A plane load of passengers was told to que up to see a customer service agent and we got in line for an hour only to be told we could not be rebooked until two days later!!

Nine family members including 2 seniors and 3 kids camped out in the gate area all night because all hotel rooms were sold out!

Trying to sleep on a concrete floor, no food available, no bedding, an absolute nightmare!

Our suggestion to Southwest Airlines is in a busy airport like Denver there must be supervisors or executives who live in the area. If your policy is the Golden rule, then do unto others: Executives or supervisors could come to the airport and speak to groups of people camped out whose flights are disrupted. We met people who were disabled, had very young children, and others not good handling cell phones to make new arrangements. 

Don't make US wait in line for hours! Come to us.  Reassure customers. Help them connect with agents  by reaching out and being proactive. Southwest customer service people were nowhere to be found to help make a bad situation more palatable.

After 3 lost days and hundreds of dollars in unexpected expenses, we were so grateful to be home, and are in no hurry to fly again.

To be stranded in a strange city with no option to get safely home was very unsettling for all of us.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Stuck overnight in Denver no hotels available, SWA we need more than Snack Mix and Brownies Bri

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Sorry to hear your flights were all messed up from a cancellation and a delay causing you to missconnect and overnight in Denver. 

I would Contact Customer Relations  next week so they can look in to your experience and look in to possible compensation.  

-Blake

Re: Stuck overnight in Denver no hotels available, SWA we need more than Snack Mix and Brownies Bri

Explorer C

I feel for you.  I was routed through Denver twice during travel only a couple weeks ago.  It's a congested, disorganized FILTHY airport.  Given all of SW's and everyone else's baloney regarding the importance of cleanliness I just wanted a shower after spending time there.

Southwest executives should visit Denver's dump of an airport.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@117383722 wrote:

I feel for you.  I was routed through Denver twice during travel only a couple weeks ago.  It's a congested, disorganized FILTHY airport.  Given all of SW's and everyone else's baloney regarding the importance of cleanliness I just wanted a shower after spending time there.

The last time I checked, airport maintenance is the responsibility of he airport  authority, and not the airlines.

And you are right. The airport is pretty disgusting. Check out the  ceiling air ducts in the older parts of the airport. I don't think they have been cleaned since the airport opened 26 years   ago.

Explorer C

Thank you.  I understand SW doesn't own the airports or terminals used.  I don't know what arrangements exist between airlines and airports but SW must exert some influence.   SW and passengers must pay tremendous fees for use of airport facilities.  The airport terminal greatly influences the passenger's travel experience. 

It's now my life mission never to be routed through Denver again.

I've said humorously yet proudly and mostly accurately for a long time, "If SW doesn't doesn't go there neither do I."  But SW has gone downhill and I for one am sick of the COVID excuse from everyone.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@117383722 wrote:

Are you kidding? This has to be a joke, right? Congested?? The Denver airport is absolutely enormous - it's the biggest airport in the entire country with over 100 gates. It's the second largest in the world. It's so big you need to get to the other terminals by train. I'm always amazed by how big it is whenever I am there. 

If you think Denver is "bad" and "filthy" I'd hate to know what you think of much smaller airports across the country like TUL with only 2 terminals and 21 gates - but maybe small airports is more your style. 

--Jessica

standard
Explorer C

So far stil not a penny from southwest  ive been lied to daily  regarding the refund or is southwest Only stealing my money ??? 

A month is plenty if time to issue a refund for a flight that never happened  who has a number to finance and the ceo cell phone numbef?? 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@standard wrote:

So far stil not a penny from southwest  ive been lied to daily  regarding the refund or is southwest Only stealing my money ??? 

A month is plenty if time to issue a refund for a flight that never happened  who has a number to finance and the ceo cell phone numbef?? 

Who at the airline promised a refund?

Have you contacted customer relations?

Did you use the phone number I gave you in response to  your other post?

Get real -- no CEO is going to advertise his/her cell phone number.

Want to send a snail mail? Here's how:

Gary Kelly

CEO

Southwest Airlines

P.O. Box 36647 
Dallas, Texas 75235

wanderlust8706
Explorer C

I was stranded over night in Denver and it turned out to be SWA's fault (not weather related) and was told that they are all out of hotel vouchers. I had to scramble and find a hotel that offered a shuttle from the airport.