Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Travel Funds expire 9/7/2022 (planning trip for Dec 2022)

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@KC308 wrote:

What if I book a trip that costs more than the travel funds before the funds expire and cancel. Will the new travel funds still have expiration date of 6/11/22? or since I paid more, will it generate a new expiration date? Any thought or suggestions? I wish I had known that I had an option to convert the travel funds to points but it seems like it was for a limited time. 

The new travel fund will retain the same expiration date and be for the value of the previous fund PLUS any additional cash paid.

--TheMiddleSeat

roxy031
Explorer C

I had the same experience - 4 different travel funds expiring 9/7. I booked 2 flights with the funds and then canceled the flights, but the funds retained the original expiration date of 9/7. Really frustrating that there isn't an exception to this rule, since we are still in a pandemic and all. 

I do have a flight already booked for June, which I'd booked with points. I was going to cancel the flight, and rebook it with travel funds + points. But you can't use points with travel funds. And you can only use 3 methods of payment, so if I used the 2 highest amounts of travel funds, I would have to pay the rest with money, since I can't use points for the balance.

I guess I will let mine expire 9/7 and hope they'll grant some kind of extension or something. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@roxy031 wrote:

I had the same experience - 4 different travel funds expiring 9/7. I booked 2 flights with the funds and then canceled the flights, but the funds retained the original expiration date of 9/7. Really frustrating that there isn't an exception to this rule, since we are still in a pandemic and all. 

I do have a flight already booked for June, which I'd booked with points. I was going to cancel the flight, and rebook it with travel funds + points. But you can't use points with travel funds. And you can only use 3 methods of payment, so if I used the 2 highest amounts of travel funds, I would have to pay the rest with money, since I can't use points for the balance.

I guess I will let mine expire 9/7 and hope they'll grant some kind of extension or something. 

If you didn't already, book one-ways to allow use of more travel funds. Then you get three methods each ticket. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@KC308 wrote:

I'm in the exact same boat! I rebooked a trip for our family of 5 in June 2021 for Dec 2021 using travel funds from Mar 2020. Unfortunately, my son started to have COVID like symptoms so we had to cancel again... Now we have $2500 in travel funds with expiration of 6/11/2022. (lucky you, still got 9/7/22 expiration date, not me!)  It is too expensive or limited availability to book for spring break and our kids won't be out of school until end of June.   We have a few trips coming up this summer but I don't want to see ticket price goes up while waiting for the funds to expire.  

What if I book a trip that costs more than the travel funds before the funds expire and cancel. Will the new travel funds still have expiration date of 6/11/22? or since I paid more, will it generate a new expiration date? Any thought or suggestions? I wish I had known that I had an option to convert the travel funds to points but it seems like it was for a limited time. 

The funds keep the earliest expiration date of any combination of funds and new money, so don't do that. Book separate one-ways or use any other method to use up funds separately from cash. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

CoopDawg
Explorer C

Just an update for everyone. Got off the phone with SW agent a few moments ago. She confirmed that SW has a new policy, allowing for a free 6 month extension of the Sept 7, 2022 Travel Funds. since there are a lot of them still out there. You need to call in, then request the agent convert them into Luv Bucks, which are transferrable, but will expire within 6 months. They submit an online form on their side, which kicks off a process that takes 7-10 business days for the conversion (which you'll get an email for when it's been completed)  No $100 fee for these conversions. 

Good luck!

MaryS
Explorer C

Thanks for this update. I've the same expiration of travel funds and am not inclined to make any travel plans before Sept 7th. The conversion to LUV vouchers is great news! I'd like to know though, until when is this free extension? Do I need to call before Sept. 7th? 

Thanks in advance.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@MaryS wrote:

Thanks for this update. I've the same expiration of travel funds and am not inclined to make any travel plans before Sept 7th. The conversion to LUV vouchers is great news! I'd like to know though, until when is this free extension? Do I need to call before Sept. 7th? 

Thanks in advance.

EXPIRED travel funds may be converted to vouchers within 6 months of the expiration dates.

If done BEFORE end of year it is a no cost transaction. If done after 12/31/22 there is a $100 fee per travel fund. That is the way it was before SW announced the ONE TIME waiving of the $100 fee thru year and 2022.

jaanihaa72
Explorer C

Appreciate any advise. I'm trying to figure our options before it's too late.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@jaanihaa72 wrote:

Appreciate any advise. I'm trying to figure our options before it's too late.

When does your travel fund expire and when do you want to travel?

KMart
Explorer C

How do you turn your travel funds into points?