Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Travel Funds expire 9/7/2022 (planning trip for Dec 2022)

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@KMart you don't

--TheMiddleSeat

xin8555373994
Explorer C

I also accumulated lot of them during Covid times but as travel was at halt, I haven't got to use them. Now I am also gonna enjoy those discount funds.

Cheers

floridaguy
Aviator C

In my experience, this is not true.

I had a LUV Voucher that expired in July and with a simple phone call it was extended through December 31, 2022.  

There was no letter written, no pre-trial hearing with Perry Mason, no picketing and no administrative hearing.

rizana
Explorer C

I had travel funds over $800 that were extended until 9/7/22. Our family of 4 applied them towards a RT flight last November, and paid the small remainder with a credit card. When there was a big price drop, I rebooked and got $120 travel funds per ticket. And guess what? Those travel funds expire 9/7/22, not a year from from the time I actually booked the tickets last fall. If only you could transfer those funds into a joint family account lol

dfwskier
Aviator A

@rizana wrote:

If only you could transfer those funds into a joint family account lol

Well in the future if you buy the new Wanna Ge Away Plus fare, you will be able to do that

judisimecek
Explorer C

Temporary Additional Flexibility – Effective June 1, 2022

$100 will not be deducted: For all Customers who contact us between June 1 and December 31, 2022, letting us know they are unable to use their funds during the RTF validity period, we will issue a Southwest LUV Voucher for the full value of the RTF, which means temporarily, you will not deduct $100 per our normal GOG exception.

No longer required to contact us after the expiration date: Customers do not need to wait to contact us after the RTF expires. Between June 1 and December 31, 2022, If Customers contact us to advise they are unable to use their funds before the expiration date of the RTF and they do not want to wait until after the expiration date to request a Southwest LUV Voucher, we will force close the RTF and issue the SLV immediately. Please explain to the Customer that the SLV will be valid for six months from the issue date.

skhanusa
Explorer C

Hi! It *may* be too late for 5travelswa, but maybe this can help someone else: as of June 1, 2022, through December 2022, you can extend your travel funds for free in the form of a voucher that is valid for 6 months. There is no $100 fee and you do not have to wait until your funds expire!! You do have to call and request the extension. The slight catch is that they told me I would not receive the voucher for 45 days. This new policy was apparently sent by Southwest to its employees, but you can Google it and it will come up (link below). I am traveling in October but had funds that I did not realize were expiring on 9/7/22. I tried to use them to book a flight before 9/7 and combined other funds that were valid well into 2023 to pay for the flight. Then I tried to change the flight date to October, as I could have sworn I had done in the past, and it would not let me. When I canceled the flight, all of my funds now expired on 9/7/22. I was close to tears until I read the new policy. I made a community account just to share this in case it helps anyone! 
Here is a link about the extension policy for 2022, but I literally just got off the phone with Southwest and there was absolutely no issue: 

https://viewfromthewing.com/southwest-extending-flight-credits-six-months-but-only-if-you-ask/  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@5travelswa wrote:

Hi,

Looking for clarification, options or others experience.

I had a trip planned March 2020 (that we COVID canceled) and received Travel Funds set to expire 9/7/2022.

I'm planning our family trip for December 2022.  What are our options for using these travel funds (~$2200) for our December 2022 trip?

Will I be able to book a trip in December using those funds? or is there an option to extend those funds? or any workaround that anybody has been successful with? 

Appreciate any advise. I'm trying to figure our options before it's too late. 

Thanks!

Well I have some good news for you! Southwest just announced they are removing expiration dates from all travel funds (now known as flight credits). 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

5travelswa
Explorer B

Wow! That is fantastic news! Thank you for the update. We have used some of our flight credits already, but do have some funds that I really thought I was going to just lose.

Thank you again. I appreciate all who have offered input/experiences.

Happy travels and flying! I sure hope to go again soon!