Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Trotting an old horse out of the barn...in a new light

DowntownDave
Explorer C

OK folks...so it's been brought up a million times, but I searched the forum before I decided to post this and it hasn't been posted in 3 years.  So way before the pandemic and, well, anything else in recent memory.  

There's none or limited booze on planes currently. Maybe for a while.  There's talk of limiting capacity on planes (true or not? - critical for this argument). 

Perfect time to pilot test WIFI Coupons vs Drink Coupons for loyal RR members.  Limited people means less latency in the pipe.  No/less booze means the current ones are useless anyway.  

JUST FINALLY TRY IT! Maybe for pilot program distribution - try handing them out on the plane (but only so many) like they used to do for LUV vouchers every once in a while. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Trotting an old horse out of the barn...in a new light

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DowntownDave wrote:

OK folks...so it's been brought up a million times, but I searched the forum before I decided to post this and it hasn't been posted in 3 years.  So way before the pandemic and, well, anything else in recent memory.  

There's none or limited booze on planes currently. Maybe for a while.  There's talk of limiting capacity on planes (true or not? - critical for this argument). 

Yes, capacity is being limited. SW stops selling more tickets for a flight when the sale would require anyone to use a middle seat on that flight.

Perfect time to pilot test WIFI Coupons vs Drink Coupons for loyal RR members.  Limited people means less latency in the pipe.  No/less booze means the current ones are useless anyway.  

JUST FINALLY TRY IT! Maybe for pilot program distribution - try handing them out on the plane (but only so many) like they used to do for LUV vouchers every once in a while. 

I suspect that the airline has more important things to worry about than devoting   resources to a programming effort. Besides, liquor is not being served. So what's the use?  

DowntownDave
Explorer C

So sorry dfwskier....I reread my post and realized I wasn't very clear! I was proposing that for the first time, they actually issue WIFI coupons instead of Drink Coupons to Rapid Rewards members....and you're absolutely right, it would have to be a low-code effort these days, but I was thinking something along the lines of going down the manifest and picking 10 RR members at random to give the coupons to on every flight (heck, I guess that could be the whole flight in some cases!), announcing them after reaching 10,000 feet, and explaining to the rest of the plane that if you join RR you too could receive one of these on a future WN flight. I don't drink anymore so I have wanted this alternative for a while.  Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts! Cheers, D

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

If I read it right, he wasn't wanting liquor coupons, but coupons for free WIFI.  Maybe I'm wrong.  And I like that idea.

gsking
Aviator C

I think what you're saying is let people use or exchange their booze coupons for free wifi.  Yes, I agree this seems like a great idea. 

I'm not sure how free wifi is otherwise implemented...do they have vouchers they hand out with one-time codes?  If so, swapping them out would be painless.

DowntownDave
Explorer C

Yep gsking that's what I'm thinking exactly...as A-List Preferred, you login with your credentials to bypass the payment of wifi but there's always a "promo code" box there too just waiting for use...(yet I've never known anyone to get a "promo code"....has anyone on this forum??) that's is how they'd do it.  And they could be the first airline in America to give free WIFI to it's loyalists...equals more loyalists....equals more revenue...c'mon WN let's do it!!! 🙂

bec102896
Aviator A

@DowntownDave wrote:

Yep gsking that's what I'm thinking exactly...as A-List Preferred, you login with your credentials to bypass the payment of wifi but there's always a "promo code" box there too just waiting for use...(yet I've never known anyone to get a "promo code"....has anyone on this forum??) that's is how they'd do it.  And they could be the first airline in America to give free WIFI to it's loyalists...equals more loyalists....equals more revenue...c'mon WN let's do it!!! 🙂

I've been a lucky recipient of a WiFi promo code. 

Here's what I think could be done every 10 flights send an email with a link to "choose your freebie" which could be 4 drink coupons or 4 WiFi coupons. Kind of like a choice benefit that hotel chains or other airlines do when you earn a certain status.  I think all drink coupons could go electronic which would save the airline on shipping as well as save on labor and we as customers don't have to worry about where did I put those paper coupons. For those who don't use an electronic device maybe they could still request the paper coupons. 

-Blake

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

You all are on the right track here.  SW should consider not everyone wants a drink coupon.  I'll just say it.  I love to have a beverage, but don't because I don't want to be stuck up in mid-flight with the "fasten seatbelt" sign on and stuck holding it in for the next 40 minutes.  I know, it's just me and my weak bladder, but it is what it is.  I would gladly take a free wifi voucher any day, and then buy my own drink if that happens.