Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Update: Mask Mandate Extended

gsking
Aviator C

Well,  then are you suggesting ICU capacity be considered as a metric for FAA masking,?   Okay.   What level is acceptable? 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Available ICU beds is an important metric since it is killing people. It isn't my job to decide the threshold. I believe that vaccines should be mandatory to fly or pretty much do anything.

I'm going to Saudi Arabia in October. First time since 2019 because of obvious reasons. Right now in KSA, you need to show a vaccine card to do pretty much anything. Go into a store? Show proof of vaccination. Go into a restaurant? Show proof of vaccination? The mall? Ditto...etc. I'll feel a lot safer there than I do in the US. I'll know that if I hit by a car, there will be available medical treatment.

pennynots88
Explorer C

I think the stupidity is picking arbitrary dates without justification or metrics.   What's magic about next winter? 

gsking
Aviator C

@pennynots88 wrote:

I think the stupidity is picking arbitrary dates without justification or metrics.   What's magic about next winter? 

Thanks for quoting me from last year.   Apparently winter wasn't magic enough.   Make it "spring" now. 

gsking
Aviator C

@pennynots88 wrote:

Thanks for quoting me from last year.   Apparently winter isn't magic enough... make it spring now. 

TravelGuru
Explorer A

There is the Newsome recall and a few elections so the masks extended. You watch it will be like the shoes and toothpaste. 20 years later still ‘required’

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TravelGuru wrote:

There is the Newsome recall and a few elections so the masks extended. You watch it will be like the shoes and toothpaste. 20 years later still ‘required’

This is the third basically identical post that I've seen from you today.

edit add : make that at least 7 basically identical posts...

Do you get some silly gratification from spamming the board?

ipsedixit
Frequent Flyer C

I think the most stupid thing is to debate the mask mandate.

It's a federal law.

Nothing to debate.

You violate it, you get fined, cannot fly, or go to jail, or some combo of all three.

What's there to debate?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@ipsedixit wrote:

I think the most stupid thing is to debate the mask mandate.

It's a federal law.

Nothing to debate.

You violate it, you get fined, cannot fly, or go to jail, or some combo of all three.

What's there to debate?

Agreed.

(However... cue those saying it's not a law, they pull theirs down all flight and have had no negative consequences, the mandate violates their rights... etc.)

Sigh.

gsking
Aviator C

Fair enough on the ICU bed capacity.   That's a great metric to use... it's much more objective than "a busy travel season". 

And many of us who spend more time flying than monitoring the bed availability in Oregon or Texas don't see that side of it.   Some of us wear a mask... and have had Covid... and have been vaccinated.   So we're a bit less worried. 

Again,  it's not the issue of masking directly.   It's the poor messaging,  the apparently capricious decision making,  and the otherwise condescending tone of the process.  "We have to extend this mandate until X >Y and we understand the confusion" is better than "Just because we said so and you're a jerk" .  At least that's what my mom taught me.   

Keep in mind the President even said you wouldn't have to wear a mask if you're vaccinated.   If that's not the pinnacle of mixed messaging,  I don't know what is.   But he's good as it. 

And I feel sorry for the two women I got stuck between last night who certainly thought I had Covid.   No,  it was the sprint between Vegas terminals after SW changed my flight time and didn't notify me that boarding had commenced.   My apologies.   Man,  that mask sucks for heavy  aerobic exercise.