Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Very weak alcohol drink

Edckarate
Explorer C

I flew last night from BWI to RSW on flight 5035.  I used a drink coupon to receive a rum and Coke Zero.  What I received was a very weak drink.  Are Southwest flight attendants now routinely watering down the drinks?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Very weak alcohol drink

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

All of SW's alcohol is packaged in single-serve portions, and given that the plastic cups are only so big, the drinks should be pretty consistent, with variations for ice.  I have not experienced anything being watered down on any flight.  If you prefer your drinks stronger, it might be worth mentioning that to the flight attendant when you order. You could also request to be able to mix it yourself.

Cheers!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The idea that flight crews are purposefully watering down drinks is hilarious. Crews place ice in a large number of cups then add drinks to them. It's not uncommon for some ice to melt during this process as the ics is not stored in a freezer on board and has already been melting before going into the cups. Additionally, the drinks can sit for some time while the crew distributes them. It's not like you're sitting at the bar and the bartender hands you the drink as soon as it's made. Yes, the drinks can sometimes be watered down, but it's not being done on purpose. In fact, many of the strongest drinks I recall ever having have been on Southwest flights.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Edckarate wrote:

I flew last night from BWI to RSW on flight 5035.  I used a drink coupon to receive a rum and Coke Zero.  What I received was a very weak drink.  Are Southwest flight attendants now routinely watering down the drinks?

You can request the rum to be served neat and take the Coke Zero and ice on the side if you want to mix it yourself. 

Unless there was some exceptional circumstance I think it would be highly unlikely that you didn't receive the full portion of rum in your beverage. But the ratio could change with the ice, etc. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bgubs14
Frequent Flyer C

Yeah I have had a variety of experiences with the amount of alcohol I get, more so with the rum. It might have to do with the amount they had per drink or just who is pouring. I have also heard from flight attendants that if someone has had many drinks and asks for another one it will be watered down!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bgubs14 wrote:

Yeah I have had a variety of experiences with the amount of alcohol I get, more so with the rum. It might have to do with the amount they had per drink or just who is pouring. I have also heard from flight attendants that if someone has had many drinks and asks for another one it will be watered down!

They might consider this if a passenger was noticeably intoxicated already. Otherwise the drinks all come in single serving containers so there wouldn't be much jurisdiction for the strength of the pour.

They shouldn't be doing this if they take payment for the beverage though, the better option would be not to serve it rather than only pour a portion of the drink.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@bgubs14 wrote:

They might consider this if a passenger was noticeably intoxicated already. Otherwise the drinks all come in single serving containers so there wouldn't be much jurisdiction for the strength of the pour.

They shouldn't be doing this if they take payment for the beverage though, the better option would be not to serve it rather than only pour a portion of the drink.

Perhaps better to water drown a drink for someone who may be drunk than potentially get into an altercation with an angry drunk

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@bgubs14 wrote:

Perhaps better to water drown a drink for someone who may be drunk than potentially get into an altercation with an angry drunk

If there was an unpublished policy to do this, and then "forget" to take their drink coupon I'd be behind it. Actually the drink coupons could come with fine print that Southwest is allowed to provide any mixed drink in a manner necessary for the conditions...but don't take someone's credit card if you weren't going to deliver the goods. Or make up an excuse of "sorry we had turbulence" or "we ran out of that" and then forgot to come back.

But I don't expect that the FA do this either - my guess is that people have an issue of perception of the strength, but the actual strength is standard.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@dfwskier wrote:

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@bgubs14 wrote:

If there was an unpublished policy to do this, and then "forget" to take their drink coupon I'd be behind it. Actually the drink coupons could come with fine print that Southwest is allowed to provide any mixed drink in a manner necessary for the conditions...but don't take someone's credit card if you weren't going to deliver the goods. Or make up an excuse of "sorry we had turbulence" or "we ran out of that" and then forgot to come back.

But I don't expect that the FA do this either - my guess is that people have an issue of perception of the strength, but the actual strength is standard.

David, I didn't mean to imply this is happening. I don't. The liquor comes in those one serving mini bottles. One per drink.

I'm sure you've heard stories about pax being denied another drink, and then becoming belligerent when denied.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@Edckarate,

No, it keeps from the alochol drinking customer from being berating or belligerent on other passengers as well as the airplane crews. 

I firmly believe that there are something is in the drink.....