Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Weather delays

Briguy111
Explorer C

19 different ways to get from Phoenix to Chicago today - a day where’s it windy all day - and they cancel my 7:40 flight because of weather?!  Unbelievable how unhelpful Ivory and Ingrid were in customer service.

our flight was not very booked so they decide to cancel it - thanks for putting profits ahead of customers sw - I’d be lying if I said I would never fly again (2 flights coming up) but super disappointed 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Weather delays

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry to hear that your flight was canceled.

Weather has been a problem at both Chicago airports with 203 cancellations so far at O-Hare and

124 at Midway. So the weather is affecting more than just Southwest.

https://www.flychicago.com/business/media/delays/pages/default.aspx

Every airline tries to accommodate passengers affected by cancellations. It becomes a difficult task when lots of flights get canceled and there is insufficient seat availability to get everyone where they want to go as soon as they want to get there. Customer service can't give you a seat if there is no vacant seat to give you.

Flight cancellations cause problems for airlines., Planes aren't where they need to be. Flight crews are not where they need to be. It's a cascading effect. So I don't beleive Southwest cancelled your flight becasue, as you put it, "it wasn't very booked."

I can guarantee you weather (wind) is a problem in Chicago. I'm there now. Winds are a steady 30 MPH with gusts over 50.

Hope you get to your final destination with minimal disruption.

Briguy111
Explorer C

Yes, I bought a ticket for my son and myself on United - somehow their flights are still getting in 

Briguy111
Explorer C

So United pulls some strings and gets my 11 year old son and I sitting together on an overbooked flight - nice to see there is a helpful airline still out there

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Briguy111 wrote:

So United pulls some strings and gets my 11 year old son and I sitting together on an overbooked flight - nice to see there is a helpful airline still out there

Congratulations on getting lucky. O'Hare is up to 228 cancellations today.

Edit add: as of 10 pm, OHare is up to 269 cancellations.

Flying_Slug
Adventurer A

Having the power to pull strings to get two seats together on an overbooked flight must be nice… Robot tongue

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Flying_Slug wrote:

Having the power to pull strings to get two seats together on an overbooked flight must be nice… Robot tongue

Especially since UA would likely have to spend a couple thousand   $ in denied boarding compensation to the other people who were thrown off the flight to make room for him on the allegedly overbooked flight..

Briguy111
Explorer C

Yes - they were offering compensation when I checked In to change my flight 

I get weather delays - just was disappointed on how southwest handled it

Briguy111
Explorer C