Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Webex and Zoom meetings while on wifi during flight.

New Arrival

Could someone please share the policy on using Webex and or Zoom while in flight?

I had a flight attendant just walk by and told me to shut my class off it was not allowed!!

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Webex and Zoom meetings while on wifi during flight.

Wow, I didn't know this was possible?  I'm awaiting the answer too.

Highlighted

New Arrival

Very much so! I've connected to the WiFi - Paid my $8.00 to use the Wifi for this purpose and it works beautifully. I've done it a few times now with no trouble until today.  I'm using Wifi not cellular data to talk through my head set. I was not talking loud either.  As a matter of fact my mic was under my mask.

Highlighted

Top Contributor

The policy is that functions that hog the signal aren't allowed. Thus you can't even access any streaming site .

I would imagine that Webex and Zoom are apps are signal hogs that the airline just hasn't gotten around to banning yet.

The WiFi capability of any plane is very limited. Thus a number of signal hogs on a given flight could result in lots of other people on the plane having no service.

Highlighted

Rising Star

I was also shocked to discover that I was able to attend a Teams meeting once on a flight. Given the WiFi’s speed for browsing, I never thought it would be possible. That said, I was in listen-only mode with earbuds.

The major problem I see here is that you can’t make calls during a flight, and this is essentially what you were doing, especially since you were talking. Even though you were talking quietly, I (respectfully) imagine your neighbors might not have appreciated it. 

-A List Preferred, Companion Pass holder, Community Champion.
Highlighted

New Arrival
Solution

The policy as it appeared in the Southwest Airlines Magazine earlier this year:

"In order to provide a top-notch WiFi experience, we prohibit access to certain high-bandwidth applications and websites, including NetFlix, HBO GO, and telephony applications (VoIP.)"