Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Webex and Zoom meetings while on wifi during flight.

bsine313
Explorer C

Could someone please share the policy on using Webex and or Zoom while in flight?

I had a flight attendant just walk by and told me to shut my class off it was not allowed!!

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Webex and Zoom meetings while on wifi during flight.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Wow, I didn't know this was possible?  I'm awaiting the answer too.

bsine313
Explorer C

Very much so! I've connected to the WiFi - Paid my $8.00 to use the Wifi for this purpose and it works beautifully. I've done it a few times now with no trouble until today.  I'm using Wifi not cellular data to talk through my head set. I was not talking loud either.  As a matter of fact my mic was under my mask.

dfwskier
Aviator A

The policy is that functions that hog the signal aren't allowed. Thus you can't even access any streaming site .

I would imagine that Webex and Zoom are apps are signal hogs that the airline just hasn't gotten around to banning yet.

The WiFi capability of any plane is very limited. Thus a number of signal hogs on a given flight could result in lots of other people on the plane having no service.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I was also shocked to discover that I was able to attend a Teams meeting once on a flight. Given the WiFi’s speed for browsing, I never thought it would be possible. That said, I was in listen-only mode with earbuds.

The major problem I see here is that you can’t make calls during a flight, and this is essentially what you were doing, especially since you were talking. Even though you were talking quietly, I (respectfully) imagine your neighbors might not have appreciated it. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

YeahNoMaybe
Adventurer A
Solution

The policy as it appeared in the Southwest Airlines Magazine earlier this year:

"In order to provide a top-notch WiFi experience, we prohibit access to certain high-bandwidth applications and websites, including NetFlix, HBO GO, and telephony applications (VoIP.)"

Tennisgrl
Explorer C

What if just listening and not talking on zoom call?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Tennisgrl wrote:

What if just listening and not talking on zoom call?

That's still using VOIP and thus would not be allowed

NO Webex and Zoom meetings while on wifi during flight.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

"In order to provide a top-notch WiFi experience, we prohibit access to certain high-bandwidth applications and websites, including NetFlix, HBO GO, and telephony applications (VoIP.)"

I'm going to say that in today's world, there are going to be those of us left behind with the technology curve.  It doesn't matter if it's by purpose or lack of IQ, you should always consider providing all forms of wording and language so we knuckleheads of the world really understand what you're saying.  

Let me say, your reply does merit it being a solution.  But one of the focus topics was ZOOM, a simple and common word even this dummy knows.  But you put down 
telephony applications (VoIP)  I had no idea what that means until another post spelled it out...."you're on ZOOM, which is still a VoIP."  

I'm not knocking you, I'm just letting you know some of us still need it explained like we are two year olds.  Sorry, and great answer.  Hopefully better bandwidth or whatever to allow for these types of access or commonplace.  NO, not at the expense of the rest of the users on flight.  

Alygirlsmom
Explorer C

This is so disappointing especially from an airline that is "taunting" working with businesses - after all their first group that boards are the business select group.  

In today's times, we don't have a choice any longer.  Virtual meetings are part of doing business.  If headphones are used and you are in listen mode let us use our wifi meeting platforms.