Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Where is Southwest on voter suppression laws?

rwwood
Explorer C

Hi. I've flown on Southwest almost exclusively for more than 20 years and have never poisted to a forum like this one. I have always thought Southwest's focus on people, both customers and employees, is real and sets it apart from opther airlines and other corporations. The claim that Southwest "connects people and champions communities" is evident from the time you get an email notice about a fare sale right through having to change your itinerary straight through any numbner of takeoffs and landings until you arrive home at the end of a trip.

So having appreciated the stand that Delta and American have taken against voter suppression laws, denouncing the law tha passed in the Georgia state legilature and the bill that is moving through the Texas legislature now, I scoured Southwest's website - announcements, corporate citizenship pages, etc. So far I don't see that Southwest has taken a public stand against these anti-democratic laws that are designed to make it more difficult for many people, especially people in communities of color and poorer communities to exercise their right to vote. Any excuse made for these laws, statements that they are necessary to prevent rampant or growing voter fraud, are based on innuendo, not evidence. It should be as easy as possible for ALL citizens to vote.

I hope to see Southwest take a very public stand on voting rights in alignment with its corporate values. Southwest Airlines can influence whether these laws are passed in Texans and other states and should do everything in its power to prevent them from passing.

rwwood_0-1617783753055.png

assing.

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Where is Southwest on voter suppression laws?

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

@rwwood Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

The SW Community here is primarily for customers, so to ensure your comments reach the right folks at SW, I encourage you to communicate via one of the Contact Us methods below.

In this case, you might choose to send a letter.

Southwest Airlines
P.O. Box 36647-1CR
Dallas, Texas 75235

-A List, Companion Pass holder

jksobonya
Aviator A

IMO, Southwest is an airline. They shouldn't get involved in politics. But that's just me ... 

--Jessica

rwwood
Explorer C

Most corporations are involved in politics.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@rwwood 

Your statement,  "So far I don't see that Southwest has taken a public stand against these anti-democratic laws that are designed to make it more difficult for many people, especially people in communities of color and poorer communities to exercise their right to vote."

I stand with you that anyone shouldn't be provided with obstacles to make their constitutional right to vote, happen.  What SWA does, or doesn't do, will be known, I'm sure they are in a dialog on this issue as we speak.  IMO, you can say words that guide you to feel they are taking a stand, but unless they stop flying to Georgia, (and I know this won't happen) then what's the deal?  Again, JMO.   

Now my issue with your statement, you call it an "anti-democratic law," and I beg to differ.  No law should be either Republican or Democratic, it should be a universal law for the people.  I hope there aren't any Democratic laws out there, I hope all laws are for all people regardless of political affiliation.  

rwwood
Explorer C

You're right, they should stop flying to Georgia. I won't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, but yes, I agree with you on that.

On your other point, anti-democratic is different from anti-Democratic. The electoral college is anti-democratic. Russian disinformation campaigns are overwhelmingly anti-Democratic.

gsking
Aviator C

I want my airlines to fly planes safely and my fellow voters to have ID... the same ID they need to fly on a plane. 

It's really that simple.   If you're trying to make more of it,  you aren't interested in legal and fair voting. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

I want my airlines to fly planes safely and my fellow voters to have ID... the same ID they need to fly on a plane. 

It's really that simple.   If you're trying to make more of it,  you aren't interested in legal and fair voting. 

I keep seeing this argument, the problem with it is no ID is actually required.  TSA accepts multiple forms of identification, BUT if you do not have identification you can still get on the plane after answering additional questions.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Southwest requests an ID when checking a bag.  While I don't see anything that specifically says what happens should you not have an ID, the simple way around this is to not check a bag.  Southwest does not request an ID at any other time.

Not citing any opinion about IDs and voting, just that the argument comparing voting to flying is extremely flawed.

--TheMiddleSeat

gsking
Aviator C

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@gsking wrote:

I keep seeing this argument, the problem with it is no ID is actually required.  TSA accepts multiple forms of identification, BUT if you do not have identification you can still get on the plane after answering additional questions.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Southwest requests an ID when checking a bag.  While I don't see anything that specifically says what happens should you not have an ID, the simple way around this is to not check a bag.  Southwest does not request an ID at any other time.

Not citing any opinion about IDs and voting, just that the argument comparing voting to flying is extremely flawed.

--TheMiddleSeat

Right... so why are we discussing voting on a flying forum?   It's entirely absurd to expect SWA to factor in.   Why aren't they talking about other more important issues?   I didn't hear anyone complaining about their stance on genocide in China,  or the border crisis.   They involve  MUCH more serious issues, with many more than the 200,000 people were talking about in GA.  And they're like, dying.   So there's that. 

And while we're at it,  you're agreeing with me that you need to VERIFY YOUR ID TO FLY.   The same way you need to VERIFY YOUR ID TO VOTE.   

Seriously,  you link to this as a rebuttal?   

"Adult passengers 18 and over must show valid identification at the airport checkpoint in order to travel."

Uh, what? 

So since we agree, let's drop it.   This is one of the most offtopic discussions on this forum. 

(I won't even get into the fact that many states including Colorado and Denver have similar or more "restrictive" voting laws,  because it's off topic.   But you might want to go research if you're curious)

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

And while we're at it,  you're agreeing with me that you need to VERIFY YOUR ID TO FLY.   The same way you need to VERIFY YOUR ID TO VOTE.   

(I won't even get into the fact that many states including Colorado and Denver have similar or more "restrictive" voting laws,  because it's off topic.   But you might want to go research if you're curious)

Uhhh... I said no such thing.  Specifically, I stated the exact opposite, that no ID is required to fly.  But since you also think Colorado has more restrictive voting rules it doesn't seem like you read all the details of things and just like the headlines you hear.

--TheMiddleSeat