Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Where is Southwest on voter suppression laws?

gsking
Aviator C

Right.   I quote the TSA verbatim, you still disagree with the very link you posted, and you claim I'M the one with a reading problem.   Sure.

We're done here.   

Now,  back to talking about flying topics instead of politics...

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Maybe pictures help? No ID required to fly. 

Screenshot_20210411-232715_Chrome.jpg

It's not a political statement, just fact checking your post which said an ID is required.

It's always fun to see the people with incorrect information say the discussion is done.

--TheMiddleSeat

gsking
Aviator C

You go try that.   "If your identity is confirmed...".  

I'm guessing if you "have no ID" as you state, you won't get very far.   Or maybe they'll just pull you up in the computer.   If you don't EXIST in the computer,  good luck to you. 

I see you like to try to split hairs with semantics.   Forgetting your ID card is not the same as not having a verifiable identification.   Read the first paragraph. 

The irony is... that sort of ID verification  is exactly the point of the discussion.   If it's okay (as you so vociferously state) to fly on a plane "without ID", then why are we quibbling that only having 4 or 5 ways to verify your identity for voting is bad?  

Thanks for proving my point. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The only point I was disputing was that an ID is required to fly. It's not. Seems like you don't want to believe facts because now you just say you don't think it would work to fly without an ID despite TSA specifically saying you can. Numerous people on this forum have asked how to fly without an ID, it happens.

--TheMiddleSeat

UGATraveler
Explorer C

Southwest Airlines needs to join American and Delta Airlines in opposing voter suppression laws in Texas. Besides being a frequent flier, I own a small amount of stock in the company. I plan to write a letter to corporate headquarters. It's time to take a stand. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@UGATraveler wrote:

That is certainly your right.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I wish that companies would stay out of politics. I generally keep my politics to myself because all I do is piss off someone or someone else (and, often everyone). All of this virtue signaling is getting annoying. 

I will say that I'm not so simple minded as to only do business with people that I agree with on every issue.

dapaga73
Explorer C

How is it oppressive or racist to require id to vote? If we don't require valid id then how are we to know that the person is a citizen who has a right to vote? The right to vote is one of the greatest gifts granted to American citizens and if we just give it out to everyone then why am I paying taxes? You need an id to buy alcohol, cigarettes, fly, go to a sporting event, drive a car, etc. etc. etc. In this specific case, how can you believe that it's okay to require id to fly on an airline but that it should not be required to vote? That's just ignorance. I pray that people wake up from their "wokeness" before they destroy our country. Stop with the "I'm better than you" because I believe in this or that. You are worse than the people you accuse of being white supremacist and 99% of the time you are making libelous remarks backed by nothing but your own virtue signaling which is prejudice at its worst. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@dapaga73 Ugh, did you read any of this thread? An ID is NOT required to fly. Nor is it required to do anything you mention except drive because it's a DRIVERS license. A license is a convenient way to prove age IF you appear to be under age buying cigarettes or alcohol, but I can't recall the last time I was asked for an ID because I look of age and an ID is NOT required to be shown every time you purchase. In the case of voting, eligible age is established during registration

If you're sharing opinions please have accurate facts to back them up.

--TheMiddleSeat

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

This discussion has gotten off topic, so we will be closing the thread. I encourage everyone to also refresh themselves on our Community User Guidelines. For Southwest's position on voting rights, see our statement below.

The right to vote is foundational to our democracy and a right coveted by all. We believe every voter should have a fair opportunity to let their voice be heard. This right is essential to our nation’s success.

Thank you,

Nicole
Community Manager