Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Why do Flight Attendants put their luggage in the first row overhead compartments?

sblarmo
Explorer C

I am a Southwest loyal customer, flying every week, and holding a companion pass.  I am disabled....and typically get a preboard.  I need a special seat with extra legroom in the front row.  Sometimes, not always, the flight attendant will have their bags placed in the first/front overhead bin.  This limits where people in the front rows can put their bags (and as we all know, all bags have to go up if you are in the first row). 

Just curious....it seems that the company policy should be for the flight attendants to put their bags in the bins at the back of the plane, and never in the front.  Why is this not the case?  It does not seem to put the customer first.....

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Why do Flight Attendants put their luggage in the first row overhead compartments?

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Fo

r the same reason so many people fake medical conditions to preboard on SWA, for the convenience of it.

Re: Why do Flight Attendants put their luggage in the first row overhead compartments?

maminc12
Explorer C

Yes it seems everytime I fly there are more and more pre boards.

Makes one wonder what the requirements are to get pre board....Dr. note or some other documentation or is it just some verbal request?

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Is the same reason that so many people fake medical conditions to be able to preboard.... its more convenient to have the bags n the front of the aircraft.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

The FAA requires flight attendants to carry with them certain materials that must be easily accessed at all times. Also, the FA(s) on your flight may need to deplane quickly and run to their next plane. Some of those first compartments contain safety equipment anyway, and the newest planes have locks on the ones FAs use to keep them off limits. No passenger is entitled to any specific overhead compartment. There's plenty of availability further back.

pesjr76
Explorer C

My flight attnedant stored a large basket of peanuts in the Row 1 overhead & she would not allow me to store my bag above my seat. Im not a fan of them storing their own luggage, let alone a basket of peanuts. 

Thoughts on this please? 

Caseyk01
Explorer C

I wouldn’t say this is solved. I like the front row, but occasionally see that the flight attendants have used the front bin for their luggage. This results in the front row being empty unless someone is traveling with absolutely nothing. Doesn’t always happen so there is no requirement that they do it. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

You might want to re-read my earlier post (marked as the solution) as it answers the question in detail.