Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Why do people fly southwest?

keasbey
Adventurer C

I've never found someone that has a good answer. Ive always never had some magical flight experience that made your ridiculous prices and terrible service worth it 

My experience :

Do you need to arrive on time ? 

Care about getting there the same day ?

Want to get wifi after you spend 8$ on it? 

Don't fly southwest. You're more likely to get a plane thats a day late with no wifi and an hour plus wait no matter what airport in the US. But hey - peanuts! 

Never had these experiences with other airlines. Tired of it so im going to spend my entire flight today making sure the SW forum is filled with in-flight stories and experiences. 

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Why do people fly southwest?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Flew last week, schedule was perfect for me, flight was on time and cheaper than competition. Thanks for asking 

--TheMiddleSeat

keasbey
Adventurer C

🤣

Thats a good joke

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

I'm sincerely sorry to know we've fallen short of your expectations on more than one occasion, @keasbey. While we strive for topnotch Customer Service, we know we don't always get it right, and we apologize for letting you down. Whenever a Customer has an issue with their travel experience, we are happy to review the situation and follow-up. As the Community is a Customer to Customer support forum, we are not equipped to assist you here. For concerns regarding specific travel experiences, I encourage you to Contact Customer Relations for assistance. Thank you.

Nicole
Community Manager

keasbey
Adventurer C

Im very sorry that SW restricts you from using anything except copy/paste messages. Its very obvious that's how they run their customer service department. But nothing like seeing the same agent post the same message 3 times in a row 🤣🤣

bec102896
Aviator A

In air travel delays happen on every airline. WiFi breaks on every airline. I was 2 days late on Delta thanks to a maintenance issue and I've also been 5 days late on Southwest thanks to a winter storm in Texas (not SW's fault) it's life. Now how each airline handled the delays made the difference that's why I stick with Southwest. 

As already mentioned you should contact customer relations as they are the department who handles past flight issues. This is a public forum and the tools don't exist here to resolve your complaint that's why we recommend you reach out to the team who can help you. 

-Blake

jksobonya
Aviator A

I fly Southwest because it's cheaper than most other airlines, for these reasons:

1) 2 free checked bags, AKA no checked bag fees

2) No change fees. You can change your flight as many times as you want if the price is lower since you booked and you get the difference as a credit to use later. This is HUGE.

3) No cancel fees. Want to cancel your flight at any time? No problem. Use what you paid as a travel credit for up to a year after you initially booked your flight. You are not charged *any* fees to cancel. This is also HUGE.

Those 3 reasons alone make Southwest worth it, but I'm sure I can think of many more if given the time ... 

--Jessica 

keasbey
Adventurer C

Lol the bags and everything are just rolled into the cost of the ticket. Get a calculator out with another airline. Its near the same price if not more for SW. Everytime. 

Anyway. Another $$$excellent$$$ flight with southwest. We left 45 minutes late, flight took longer than expected, and all the gates are full upon landing. "No clue whats happening" - words from the pilots mouth 🤣

How long will my 3.5 hour flight be today ? Probably near 6 hours. Feel bad for the people on my flight who think they are actually connecting to Baltimore 

Anyway. That was MY inflight experience today. Im not looking for customer service to give me free stuff or make me feel better. Ill be here to post about my infligjt experiences from here on out whenever I'm with southwest. Im glad you designed a forum just for my own documentation 

bec102896
Aviator A

Well make sure when you share all your experiences you share the good too.. Oh right you would only come here to complain not to say hey my flight today was on time and the service was great. And 45min that's not that bad of a delay I had a 2.5 hour delay last week yet I didn't call/email to complain because I get delays happen. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

@keasbey wrote:

Lol the bags and everything are just rolled into the cost of the ticket. Get a calculator out with another airline. Its near the same price if not more for SW. Everytime. 

Take the bags out of it then. The free changes and free cancellations are worth it. You simply don't have the flexibility of changing or canceling flights at whim with another airline without paying ridiculous fees to do so. Heck, American charges $200 just to cancel your flight, and $750 to cancel an international flight. Absurd. 

--Jessica