Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Why not just book enough seats that it's guaranteed a middle seat should be open

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I just propose, that if you only book enough seats for now on any flight that the middle seat should be open and nobody forced to sit there would be a great protocol right now.   If a group of 3 wants to sit together, great, then some flyers will have a row to themselves.  

For those that want to sit beside each other as a pair, can slide once the doors close.  This would assure that every passenger knows that there is for sure a middle seat open option 100 percent of the time.  Over time this would be done away with as more passengers fly, but it would surely be the deciding factor right now if me and my wife were to fly.  As is, we aren't flying at all.  

It's just a suggestion.  

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Why not just book enough seats that it's guaranteed a middle seat should be open

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Southwest is capping the number of seats its selling for flights right now which is just like blocking the middle seats. The Flight attendants are telling people to leave the middle seats open once onboard. 

Re: Why not just book enough seats that it's guaranteed a middle seat should be open

SWFlyer007
Aviator C
Solution

Thank you so much for letting me know.  This does change everything.  Since I don't fly I didn't know.  I know they have taken other great measures and I'm feeling safer and safer.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

I've had two flights in the last 9 days. Both had about 40 passengers.

There were plenty of empty middle seats - plenty of empty aisle and window seats, too.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Thank you for your reply.