Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Why so many delays and cancelations recently with southwest

Will0329
Explorer B

My last 4 flights on southwest in the past month have been either cancelled or delayed.

Last night from seattle to burbank was awfull!

My flight from seattle to Oakland was supposed to take off at 3.40pm and was delayed until 6pm.

I missed my connecting flight from Oakland to burbank.

I was put on a connecting flight from Oakland to burbank supposed to take off at 8.30pm. Instead my flight was delayed until 9pm and supposed to land in burbank at 10pm. When we landed in burbank at 10pm our plane was on the runaway for 1 hour.

The reason the plane was on the runaway was because our gate had a plane that had not taken off yet. I didn't walk off the plane in burbank until after 11pm. 

Two weeks ago my 3pm flight from burbank to seattle was delayed 4 hours so southwest put me on a different flight. The new flight southwest put me on was a 1 stop 1 plane flight from burbank to seattle with a stop in Las Vegas. Unfortunately this flight got me to seattle at 2.50am instead pf 12 midnight 

Should I email or call southwest airlines customer service about this??

Southwest airlines needs to get its act together!!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Why so many delays and cancelations recently with southwest

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You could change your subject to be the name of any airline.  It's basically the same across all airlines.

If you want to complain to Southwest, use the contact us link at the bottom of the page and send a message.

--TheMiddleSeat

douginKY
Explorer A

All the airlines are struggling but having been affected by a SWA cancellation in the past week, and after taking a look at some online resources, I think the main problem with SWA is its business model (low fares, quick turns, maximum use of aircraft during a day) has kind of fallen apart during this period of very high demand and thin crew resources.  IMO they will continue to disappoint unless the company trims its schedule to be better in line with available resources.  Also, one thing I had not thought about (but read about it on a pilot message board) is the introduction of the larger models of the 737, e.g. 737-800, affected the ability to due quick turns due to more people and luggage.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@douginKY wrote:

All the airlines are struggling but having been affected by a SWA cancellation in the past week, and after taking a look at some online resources, I think the main problem with SWA is its business model (low fares, quick turns, maximum use of aircraft during a day) has kind of fallen apart during this period of very high demand and thin crew resources. 

Actually, demand is still a bit below that of what was happening before the bug hit in 2000. The bug caused every airline to shed thousands of employees. Then demand returned faster than expected. So every airline is trying to hire thousands of new employees as we speak

IMO they will continue to disappoint unless the company trims its schedule to be better in line with available resources. 

During 2022, Southwest has already dropped thousands of flights from it's schedule 

Also, one thing I had not thought about (but read about it on a pilot message board) is the introduction of the larger models of the 737, e.g. 737-800, affected the ability to due quick turns due to more people and luggage.

Southwest has had the 737-800 in it's fleet for well over a decade. Hundreds of them are in the fleet. I suspect that over 10+ years, Southwest has learned how to make the bigger plane work.

As said earlier in the thread, just about every airline in the world is being affected as Southwest is.  I'd suggest that you do a bit of research online and you'll see that statement is accurate

douginKY
Explorer A

"do a bit of research."  Ah, sure thing.  OP was asking about SWA, not the industry in general.  I think it is well known the entire passenger airline business is in crisis right now.  I've been flying SWA for 24 years, it has been my primary "go-to" for more than 20, and my opinion was based on my experiences and research.  SWA was once outstanding, with a unique business model.  Now it is just another big airline.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hey, you are entitled to your opinion, but if you think SW would not be affected by industry wide problems, perhaps you should stop impersonating an  ostrich  and pull your head out of the sand.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/flight-delayed-monday-industry-woes-persist

douginKY
Explorer A

ah, ad hominem is one way to go I suppose.  Strawman argument is another. No one said SWA is unaffected by industry wide problems.  Enjoy your flights.