Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

WiFi connected but IPad says its not connected to the internet

Bassaraba
Explorer C

For the last few months, i connect my ipad to the SW internet but then get a notice that the WiFi connection is not connected to the internet. I’m sure its my ipad as my iphone connects just fine. Thoughts on what setting is an issue. Its a 4th generation IPad running software update 15.3.1. I didn’t have this problem 3 months ago.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: WiFi connected but IPad says its not connected to the internet

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

After selecting the onboard wifi network you still have to login/accept terms of use, I belive that is why you see the message about not being connected.  It's been a bit since I used my iPad on a flight, but I do remember a login button, perhaps in the upper right corner of the screen that opens the screen you need to get to.  You can also manually type in www.southwestwifi.com to proceed.

--TheMiddleSeat

cyberroo
Explorer A

In your Wi-Fi settings, there's an option to "Forget This Network". I find that usually helps trigger the reconnection.

Lately, I'm also finding that the internet won't connect until the plane leaves the gate.  

cfravel
Explorer C

I found a solution that might work for some people.

This was on my Android 12 phone

Somewhere along the line I had switched my DNS setting to use a private, encrypted DNS server.

But of course when first connecting to the inflight WiFi, you don't yet have internet access to access a private DNS server.

I fixed this, for inflight success, by going to
Android settings

Connections

More connection settings

Private DNS

Changing it from Private to either Automatic or Off