Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Wifi on International / Caribbean flights?

tr8ness
Explorer C

I'm on a Southwest flight to San Juan, PR next month, and wanted to know what the WIFI availability was like, especially flying over water.  I know some airlines don't have coverage when you're flying over the Caribbean / Atlantic, due to satellite access I'm guessing.  Can anyone tell me what Southwest's wifi coverage is for international / domestic flights that fly over water?   

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Wifi on International / Caribbean flights?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I'm trying to think who has mentioned flying to the Caribbean recently, perhaps @dfwskier or @bwallet ?

In general, the Wifi in flight has never been very good, and sometimes doesn't even work.  Are you just looking to catch up on email?

--TheMiddleSeat

gsking
Aviator C

Was just on that flight last week.   It sucks.  You're lucky to get any coverage at all while over water. 

Piggott236
Explorer C

@mcdvoice wrote:

I'm on a Southwest flight to San Juan, PR next month, and wanted to know what the WIFI availability was like, especially flying over water.  I know some airlines don't have coverage when you're flying over the Caribbean / Atlantic, due to satellite access I'm guessing.  Can anyone tell me what Southwest's wifi coverage is for international / domestic flights that fly over water?   

A large number of Delta international flights now have satellite wifi. You will need to buy a pass, if you have a monthly subscription for domestic wifi, it will not work for the international flight. If might be expensive