Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Wifi

sahorner1
Explorer C

Let me start out that I prefer Southwest over other airlines, however I flip between SW and AA due to schedules for business travel.   AA consistently has WIFI available on flights throughout the US and SW rarely does.   I'm extremely frustrated with this as i view SW as the most progressive of airlines in terms of customer experience.   I am flying to Maui later this month -  i need to take a day off work to fly there as apparently i'm pretty guaranteed the WIFI will not work.  I spoke with a SW flight attendant this week who told me she was on that flight recently and there was no WIFI.    That seems extremely unacceptable to me for a 5.5 hr. flight from the west coast.    I'd much rather use my PTO on the beach than on a flight.    Also, my frustration grew when i received free drink coupons in the mail yesterday.    PLEASE GIVE ME WIFI!   not free drinks!  

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Wifi

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Southwest is currently testing new/different wifi technology on a limited number of planes.  Hopefully that goes well and expands to more of the fleet soon.  You're welcome to send your feedback directly to Southwest, use the contact us link at the bottom of the page and send a message.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Southwest is currently testing new/different wifi technology on a limited number of planes.  Hopefully that goes well and expands to more of the fleet soon.  You're welcome to send your feedback directly to Southwest, use the contact us link at the bottom of the page and send a message.

--TheMiddleSeat

That new supposedly more reliable tech is to be installed on New Max aircraft as they are delivered in the future. If is unclear if, whether or when the tech would be installed on existing aircraft in the fleet..

I hate to say this, but if WiFi is of paramount importance to you, maybe you fly American instead.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@sahorner1 wrote:

Let me start out that I prefer Southwest over other airlines, however I flip between SW and AA due to schedules for business travel.   AA consistently has WIFI available on flights throughout the US and SW rarely does.   I'm extremely frustrated with this as i view SW as the most progressive of airlines in terms of customer experience.   I am flying to Maui later this month -  i need to take a day off work to fly there as apparently i'm pretty guaranteed the WIFI will not work.  I spoke with a SW flight attendant this week who told me she was on that flight recently and there was no WIFI.    That seems extremely unacceptable to me for a 5.5 hr. flight from the west coast.    I'd much rather use my PTO on the beach than on a flight.    Also, my frustration grew when i received free drink coupons in the mail yesterday.    PLEASE GIVE ME WIFI!   not free drinks!  

Even with wifi you'll still need at least a part of a day off since you'll be tied up while arriving at the airport, boarding, etc. I always try to load up a few files on my laptop to work offline or even bring a few printed reports to review. 

Good luck, maybe you'll catch one of the flights where it is working. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.