Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Worst , Scariest and Most embarrassing experience of my life- FA's Drunk with Power

gmaselli
New Arrival

Flight 1821: LAX-MCI - April 15, 2021

Me and my two daughters boarded a flight from Los Angeles - Tampa with a layover in KC. About 20 minutes or so into the flight, my daughter in the middle seat woke me up and to an angry and disrespectful FA (Chrisine 57043) that informed me, in a very harsh tone, that I needed to fix my mask. As I fell asleep, the mask slid down my face a little and my nose was exposed. I didn't respond with any words, I just fixed my mask and went back to sleep. We hit a bit of turbulence and I woke up and set up my ipad and had a coffee. There wasn't a single word exchanged the remainder of the flight... not one! It was completely uneventful. 

Upon landing, we requested with one of the other FA's if during the layover we could move a few rows forward, which he (Gerard I believe) said 'no problem'. He seemed to be unaware of any drama. As we went to move forward another man I hadn't seen approached me and asked why I wasn't wearing a mask to which i replied, "look at my face, what are you talking about?" he then went on about how the FA from the previous crew said I was defiant and wasn't wearing a mask. My two daughters and the row behind my attested that ONE time during the flight she came by and asked me to move my mask over my face and I complied without hesitation or arguing. I even showed him a photo of a selfie we took for my wife during the flight and it was of all three of us with our masks on 'smiling' for my wife to let her know we were on the flight and all was good. 

At this point, I was completely sideways... I was traveling with my two teenage daughters to a soccer showcase in Florida and I'm being harassed by an over-zealous FA. Then it gets worse.. During the crew change, the FA Chrisine tells the new Lead FA (Claudio 91455) 'whatever' she tells him and he instantly becomes over aggressive, disrespectful and confrontational with me. He informs me that "you are off my flight" to which I ask why.. Everything went back to what one FA said. I had multiple witnesses attesting that the story she relayed was completely inaccurate but Claudio was insulting, demeaning and completely unhinged. 

I fly a lot for business, I just returned from 17 days in Dubai and Asia for work and I'm well aware of the protocols for wearing masks. When the FA asked me to cover my nose I did. Her attitude in asking me was rude and confrontational but I still did as she said and didn't say a word back to her. We literally exchanged no words after she told me to 'fix' my mask but I was still thrown off a flight.

At this point, my daughters and I are pulled off the flight and told that there is only one way for us to make it to Tampa. My two teenage daughters fly alone to Tampa and then wait that I hopefully make the connections as I was forced to fly to Chicago then Tampa. I was enraged.. I couldn't believe that Southwest had the authority to separate a family based on the word of one FA against the testimony of multiple eye witnesses. 

My daughters were crying, I was beyond angry and confused, it was insanity. There is no accountability. 

Claudio and Chrisine are two people that make air-travel terrible. I have no idea how people in their positions have any authority and are allowed to make decisions unchecked. What if my flight to Chicago or out of Chicago was cancelled or delayed? Who was going to care for my two teenage daughters in Tampa alone? What if during the 4 hour wait at the Tampa airport something happened to one of them, who was responsible?? 

To add insult to injury.. I had to fly Southwest again this weekend and for the first time in over a decade I noticed I wasn't TSA Pre-Check? Was this is a coincidence?

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Worst , Scariest and Most embarrassing experience of my life- FA's Drunk with Power

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

Since this is a customer to customer forum you may want to contact Southwest directly.

Contact Customer Relations 

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Worst , Scariest and Most embarrassing experience of my life- FA's Drunk with Power

gmaselli
New Arrival

I have but customer to customer is where people should hear about such horrific experiences. Southwest really doesn't care about these complaints, so the best thing we can do as 'their customers' is to let others know. 

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

Sure, if you just want to complain and not give anyone a chance to improve service.

--TheMiddleSeat

gmaselli
New Arrival

As I said, I already handled it on the business side... if you want to fan-boy and are here to protect SW, that's your deal, go for it. 

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

lol, not "protecting" anyone.  It just comes across as pointless whining if you aren't going to follow up with the company.  It appears you've done that so that's good.  Have a nice day.

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Top Contributor

Sorry about your experience. Since you contacted Southwest that's the best you can do at this point. 

With pre check did you pay the $85 for the 5 years of pre check?

jksobonya
Rising Star

I'm sorry you had a negative experience on your recent Southwest flight - but are you saying you got kicked off your connecting flight because a FA reprimanded you *one* time to fix your mask after you fell asleep and woke up with it slightly askew on your face?

I don't buy it. A FA wouldn't be that aggressive over one mask slip, especially if you were sleeping and woke up with it slightly out of place. Either there's more to the story that you are not telling us, or I am calling "BS" on the whole incident. 

--Jessica

gsking

I second the BS motion.   Should we vote on it? 

bwallet

There seems to be a pattern of people who have their masks "briefly" slip below their noses "accidentally" for a "few seconds one time" who have FA's go ballistic on them. Meanwhile, I've flown 35 times this year, and while I've heard lots of announcements, all I've ever witnessed is once or twice a flight attendant telling someone when they board that they need to pull up their masks.

I sure wish there would be more enforcement. The guy next to me last Thursday night had his mask "briefly below his nose" the whole flight. I'm vaccinated, but I'm pretty sure those who don't properly wear masks are less likely to be.