Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Worst flight attendant

Mamie74
Explorer C

I just got off of a flight that left me wondering if I should continue to fly Southwest. I was on flight 4874 at 7:30 from Dallas to Houston. The flight attendant covering the first 8 rows was clearly challenged to do her job. She said as we boarded there would not  be any beverage service then when there was, she couldn’t have moved any slower. She even told me when she took my drink order not to pay because she doubted she would get to me.  The row behind me received their drinks about 5 minutes before I placed my order. She was very very slow. To top it off, when the other flight attendants finished their service including handing out peanuts neither of them offered to help her. No team work. Southwest is supposed to be know. For customer service but there wa no evidence of it on my flight tonight, about 27 people went without snacks or beverage. Bad customer service!

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Worst flight attendant

bec102896
Aviator A

@Mamie74

sorry you were disappointed on your most recent flight. on a short flight like DAL-HOU it can be tough to get out service in time before having to clean up the cabin for landing. I know there is some weather here in Texas today which I am guessing is why you were originally told no service but then deciding to do it I think is great. Personally I would be glad they didn't charge me ahead of time if they didn't know if they could get to me because I am sure i would be a little upset if I paid for a drink to not get it and it's a lot easier for the flight attendants to come by at the end and charge me instead of come by at the end and refund me. A lot of other airlines would not offer anything on a flight this short so I think it's great they tried to get service out even if they weren't able to get everyone a drink and snack before having to land. Hopefully they will be able to get you a drink and snack on the next flight. 

Some flight attendants more slow because they don't want to spill a drink should an unexpected bump occur. 

if you would like to speak to southwest about this feel free to reach out on Twitter in a DM or you can call customer relations at 855-234-4654 

Hope this helps

Blake 

Mamie74
Explorer C

Not helpful. Just excuses. The other flight attendants should have helped out

Passenger1C
Aviator C

I completely understand your feelings and myself have been in the same type of situation. A wise person once told me to think about the bigger picture and not myself when I felt I did not get the best service. If the FA was down right rude, that’s a different situation, but it sounds like that was not the case. I would remind myself that this situation is not my fault, but the way I handle myself is up to me. 

A few things I would have told myself if I was not happy with service provided: 

Perhaps the FA is a new hire who was overwhelmed? It’s expected that someone new needs time to grow.  Haven’t we all been new to a job before? 

Should the airline be serving drinks on a short flight like this? Do other airlines serve on this exact route?  Great learning experience when effective feedback is given. I’m sure Southwest’s intent was to provide over the top great service on this short flight.   It does Sound like the FA was trying to serve everyone. 

Maybe the FA was just having a bad day and could not catch a break. I know that I have had days like that. Karma goes a long way. 

If my row was not served, I would say to myself “ it’s just a drink/peanuts” Luckily I am healthy and get to see my family soon. 

Again, I was not exactly in your situation but I do know that when I give a little grace, it’s always repaid to me. 

Happy Flying! 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

Mamie74
Explorer C

And everyone gets a trophy! No, the other flight attendants should have helped her out. They were sitting in the back of the plane doing nothing while she struggled. You missed my whole point  which was bad customer service which I always want to hear from customers of my business because I want them to come back

Bernie_guy777
Explorer C

I just boarder flight 4508 Austin to Las Vegas. It took them forever to remove the fasten seat belt sign so i waited patiently while the attendants started taking their list of orders. When finaly aftet an hour we are allowed to use thw BR. I was seated at row 14 and there was no one in line in the front BR but the flight attendant MOrgan ask me to go and wait at the back of the plane when she was doing something in the BR. So i did and fall in line at the back when there are 5 people waiting including a smallboy. When its almost my turn one of the attendant told me to go in the front ... told her i was justthere and was kicked off at the back... they started arguing with each other “why is she sending people at the back” .... I really dont know whats going on but at least get your stories match. And Its ok if you send me all the way to the back Morgan but at least be nice in your words.

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

I'm sorry to hear that you did not receive the legendary great service that Customers have come to expect on Southwest. Flight Attendants certainly should not be questioning each other in front of the Customers.

As to why you were asked to move to the back lavatory, I wonder if one of the pilots was using the front lavatory at the time. Airlines have security procedures that require a flight attendant to block access to the cockpit while a pilot uses the lavatory. Asking passengers to move to the back lavatory seems like a logical extension of that procedure.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

@Bernie_guy777,

I'm sorry that the Customer Service in this situation clearly fell short, but to clarify things a little bit, Customers are never permitted to form a line at the forward lavatory. Still, we should always share that information in a clear, but polite way. 

KCKeith
Explorer C

Now and then, I still get a flight crew that is excellent on Southwest. That said, my experience of January 3 was incredibly bad. With Herb’s passing, we’ll all have to get used to the fact that SWA flight attendants are less caring, less fun, and less personal than ever. It will never be the same, and I accept that when I book my reservation.

bec102896
Aviator A

@KCKeith

I'm sorry if you had a bad experience back on January 3rd if you would like to discuss with someone at Southwest you can call customer relations at 855-234-4654 or you can send an email by clicking on the contact link at the bottom of the page. 

Hope your next experience is better than your most recent one!

Blake