Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Your failure to act on the Boeing 737 8 MAX

Meljohn
Explorer B

What do you have to say now??  Its clear sw is only concerned with its profits-greed rules this ever increasing disheartening earth we live on.  Wonder if Boeing ceos put their family on one? 

RSH_Houston
Adventurer C

The immediate decision of CEO Gary Kelly to ground their entire fleet should be a no-brainer. Acceptablility of risk, a risk that would appear great at the moment, cannot be measured in lives lost per miles flown (you know, the way auto manufacturers measure vehicle design and defects v. R&D and recall costs). Gary simply needs to ask himself (perhaps somewhat going against his grain), "What would Herb do?".

dfwskier
Aviator A

@RSH_Houston wrote:

The immediate decision of CEO Gary Kelly to ground their entire fleet should be a no-brainer. Acceptablility of risk, a risk that would appear great at the moment, cannot be measured in lives lost per miles flown (you know, the way auto manufacturers measure vehicle design and defects v. R&D and recall costs). Gary simply needs to ask himself (perhaps somewhat going against his grain), "What would Herb do?".

According to the FAA today

March 12, 2019 - Safety is Boeing’s number one priority and we have full confidence in the safety of the 737 MAX. We understand that regulatory agencies and customers have made decisions that they believe are most appropriate for their home markets. We’ll continue to engage with them to ensure they have the information needed to have confidence in operating their fleets. The United States Federal Aviation Administration is not mandating any further action at this time, and based on the information currently available, we do not have any basis to issue new guidance to operators.

RSH_Houston
Adventurer C

Certainly you don't buy into that...

(What would you expect them to say? After all, "we" don't want to scare the flying public!)

And you do understand the financial implecations to not just Boeing, but the American Airline Industry as a whole?

Read this my friend, this is simple statistics and mathematics -

Flieger Faust

You can go here and get the take from the cockpit -

FlightAware

Do you honestly believe the TSA keeps terrorists at bay? You can read about their success rate at ant one of many websites found here -

TSA Fail

You must understand, these goverment agencies are all about the "feel good factor". That's what we pay them for.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Here's some statistics to put things in perspective:

https://airinsight.com/flying-the-max-keeping-it-in-perspective/

--TheMiddleSeat

Mcgr53
Explorer B

Look, Mary Schiavo, former Aviation  Inspector General made a statement today that until they come out with what is wrong with the 737 Max 8, that she would be concerned to fly it. She ALSO said that Boeing will have more info by the end of the week. Until I personally know the problem and what the solution is, I am following Mary’s advice. When she says something is wrong, you run. I think that SW should at least ground the 30 to 40, 737 Max 8’s they have until further notice on the cause of the crash, under an abundance of caution. Why take a chance? 

RSH_Houston
Adventurer C

Someone posted a link declaring the 737 800 MAX8, totally safe. To the contrary, it is now “the deadliest mainstream jetliner flying”! That statement is supported here-

FLIEGER FAUST

People, this is simple statistics and the mathematics thereof, not rocket science.

Believing, or worse, touting, this plane to be safe, is like believing TSA can stop terrorists. It’s a “feel good” thing!

You can keep up with the latest blogs (primarily comments from pilots) and insider news, at a site for pilots -

FlightAware

I am a very intelligent, very learned, extremely frequent flyer, flying on commercial airlines since the early 1950’s. I must subscribe to the concept of ALL of this model being grounded. And yes, I know, it will be months before the data from the found black boxes from the most recent crash can be fully analyzed. The impact, not only to SWA, but to all airlines who fly this model will be in the millions, many! It may further delay SWA opening Hawaii. Are the airlines going to start measuring human life in dollars as the auto manufacturers do and have always done? 

I also believe Boeing will do everything possible, and perhaps even be successful, in convincing the FAA that these aircraft are safe, and that TWO crashes of a model, in its’ infancy, are just a fluke!

To Gary Kelly – Simply ask yourself “What would Herb do?” Do the right thing and ground this fleet immediately! Your employees, especially your pilots, your stockholders, and your public will respect you for it.

To everyone else – email SWA now, direct to Customer Service, at this link and express your concerns -

SWA - Contact Us

dfwskier
Aviator A

@RSH_Houston wrote:

Someone posted a link declaring the 737 800 MAX8, totally safe. To the contrary, it is now “the deadliest mainstream jetliner flying”! That statement is supported here-

FLIEGER FAUST

People, this is simple statistics and the mathematics thereof, not rocket science.

Do you believe it when   SW pilots say the plane is safe and that they would not hesitate to put  family members on a MAX? After all they have flown the MAX over 41,000 times (more than any other airline in the world). See last post on page 4. - or maybe the post above this one

dfwskier
Aviator A

@cegperson wrote:

. And for you to disregard a real issue with the 737 Max planes in your fleet,...Whoever is reading these posts at Southwest, please take a minute and think how would you feel about putting your own family members on an airline who would rather watch their profits than keep your family safe. 

I would suggest that you contact those investigating the accidents so you can tell them what  the " reasl issue" with the 737 Max planes might be. It seems they do not know what it is.

Oh, and pilots and Flight Attendants ARE flying the plane day in and day out.  If they were experiencing problems, would they be doing that?

Every large carrier using the plane has decided to keep flying it,  not just Southwest.

hbridges
Explorer C

i can you find out what model plane is used your flight?