Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

deplane during a "no plane change" layover

flyaway4498
Explorer C

My original plane-change flight was recently updated to a no-plane-change 35 min layover in Atlanta. I originally selected a plane-change layover because I have a condition where I cannot use the restroom on a plane. It's not "shy bladder" because I have no problem using public restrooms. It's something about the movement of the plane that prevents me from going.

Will I be allowed to deplane during the layover to use the restroom to prevent getting an infection? Do I need a doctors note? Who do I ask permission on the plane to do this? Do I need to get an extra boarding pass or order to get back on the plane? I am very anxious about this whole situation, please help 😞

10 REPLIES 10

Re: deplane during a "no plane change" layover

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

You can ask the FA and gate agent but assuming there's enough time, it's usually OK!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

flyaway4498
Explorer C

That's my worry, it's only a 35 min layover. I can run and be super quick but I'm wondering if they will allow it with the time being so short. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Your chances of being allowed to get off approach 100%

1) Sit as close to the front of the planes as you can. - the first 9 rows ideally.

2)That allows you to get off the plane much earlier than the last person to de plane

3) Tell the flight attendant at the front of the plane that you are getting off and plan to return.

Chances are you'll be done with  your bathroom break and be back at the gate before the last person de planes.

one more thing, leave something in your seat (not your purse) so that someone else won't take your seat.

flyaway4498
Explorer C

Thank you, I am flying with my 2 year old and husband so they can save my seat. Do you know if SW lets families board early?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@flyaway4498 wrote:

Thank you, I am flying with my 2 year old and husband so they can save my seat. Do you know if SW lets families board early?

Families with children less than 7 years old are allowed to board after A group and before B group

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Your chances of being allowed to get off approach 100%

1) Sit as close to the front of the planes as you can. - the first 9 rows ideally.

2)That allows you to get off the plane much earlier than the last person to de plane

3) Tell the flight attendant at the front of the plane that you are getting off and plan to return.

Chances are you'll be done with  your bathroom break and be back at the gate before the last person de planes.

one more thing, leave something in your seat (not your purse) so that someone else won't take your seat.

Getting off is 100% - getting back on is the trick 🙂

You'll just have to promise (and deliver on the promise) to get back at least 10 minutes before departure time.

Sounds pretty smooth though if your family will be staying on the plane and hold your seat.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Would you be ok using the plane lav while it is parked at the gate?  Then you wouldn't have to worry about getting off and back on.

--TheMiddleSeat

flyaway4498
Explorer C

I wish I could, but unfortunately not. I was stuck on a tarmac once for 8 hours and it was not pretty for me. What do you think my chances are of being let off?

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

at gate plane does not move