Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

facemask

stopwhinning
Explorer C

Are you able to wear a face shield instead of a face mask when on board?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: facemask

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Yes. My understanding is that a face shield is an acceptable type of facial covering tht meets Southwest's requirements. 

Robertlbob
Explorer B

They don't enforce the rule anyway so I don't see why not

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I beg to differ.

DamienLee
Explorer C

Usually, I take with me a medical mask and a protective mask (all the covid's time ) I wear what is more comfortable at the moment. No one is stopping me.

CalGal254
Explorer C

On our flight yesterday, a face shield instead of mask was not allowed.  I had thought, based on this thread, that the face shield would be acceptable.  Because having to wear a mask made my husband's oxygen saturation drop to unsatisfactory levels.  There should be medical exceptions granted.  This will definitely impact whether we travel again before this ridiculousness is over.  Unfortunately, we have to fly home Sunday, and there are no alternatives. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@CalGal254 wrote:

On our flight yesterday, a face shield instead of mask was not allowed.  I had thought, based on this thread, that the face shield would be acceptable.  Because having to wear a mask made my husband's oxygen saturation drop to unsatisfactory levels.  There should be medical exceptions granted.  This will definitely impact whether we travel again before this ridiculousness is over.  Unfortunately, we have to fly home Sunday, and there are no alternatives. 

Rules related to the virus are constantly changing.

What might have been appropriate in June (the date of the post in this thread you are referring to) is not appropriate now. Lots has changed in the last three months,

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Yes, as @dfwskier suggested, things have changed since June and face shields are no longer acceptable if worn without a face mask. Sorry.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Your best bet is to go to the source which is updated on an ongoing basis: Southwest Promise.

This way you will always have the latest requirements. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Personally, I wish SWA required everybody to wear both a mouth and nose mask as well as a face shield.