Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

ipad air not working, yet android phone works fine on flights

highflyer
Explorer C

I took flights from MDW to RSW on march 10 and RSW to MDW on march 14. on both flights I could not connect to inflight movies or tv on my ipad air 3, IpadOS14.3. However, I had no problem connection on my Motorola Samsung S9, Model SM-G950U, Android Version 9. what is the issue with ipad please?  My ipad air would try to connect and occassionally connect for a short few seconds and cut out.  Mostly, the ipad air did not connect at all.  When i say connect, i mean run movies or tv.  I did have a connection to the southwest wifi signal that said connected.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: ipad air not working, yet android phone works fine on flights

bec102896
Aviator A

I have used my iPad on many flights in the last month without issue (last night included with almost everyone watching the tv)

Maybe try the airtime player app or you can also Contact Customer Relations this way they can document the issue and have the technology team look in to it. 

-Blake

Re: ipad air not working, yet android phone works fine on flights

highflyer
Explorer C

i have also placed an email as you recommended.  thank you for your advice.  i'm hoping there is a simple explanation that is familiar to the southwest community

Ipad air not working, yet android phone works fine on flights IT ADVICE NEEDED

highflyer
Explorer C

I received the following response from Southwest:  We know that experiencing a technical issue onboard causes frustration and inconvenience, which is why we will use the information you provided to ensure that our Wi-Fi is working correctly. 

this does not at all help me.  my android phone worked just fine on their wifi. Why would my ipod air not work at the same time on  Southwest wifi??

need someone with IT knowledge to chime in..

Re: Ipad air not working, yet android phone works fine on flights IT ADVICE NEEDED

dfwskier
Aviator A

If Ipads are functional for  other people, then it is likely your  that machine   is the issue. 

Without access to your machine, the best advice is to make sure the most recent version of the app is installed, and the airtime app too.

If all else fails, you do have a functional android device.

Re: Ipad air not working, yet android phone works fine on flights IT ADVICE NEEDED

Aspar58
Explorer C

I’m having the very same issue with Ipad6. Gen vs Samsung Note8. I bring my IPad on flts so I can watch TV and movies. Sent an email and received same response from SW.

Is it an IOS vs Android issue?

IT help please.

stevenrollinson
Employee
Employee
Solution

The good news is that all Apple devices running the most recent software (14.X as of this post) are compatible with the video options on the portal. Supported browsers are Safari and Chrome (the most recent two versions) so make sure you’re using either of those. Additionally, there is no need to use additional software (like AirTime Player) since the latest versions of these browsers have DRM capabilities.

If these aren’t your primary devices it might be a good idea to make sure they’re plugged in and connected to WiFi the night before your flight. Often, devices coming home from a trip connect to a WiFi network for the first time onboard the aircraft and attempt to run background services, all of which will be restricted onboard, and will result in that device constantly resetting its network connection.

I personally have the SouthwestWiFi network set as a “low data” network on my iPad for that very reason. To do this next time you’re connected onboard:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Click WiFi
  3. Click the i next to SouthwestWiFi
  4. Toggle on “Low Data Mode”