Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

other experience with Ativan?

smsjmd
Explorer C

Hi all -

I used to fly many times per year.  Then about 8 years ago had a bad experience with an aborted / go-round landing, which was extremely scary.  It was followed by 4+ flights in a row with extra stress - bad turbulence, long delays, mechanical problems.  The result was I ended up with severe flight anxiety and haven't flown for over 5 years.

I have to fly this weekend and had armed myself - some limited talk therapy, and a prescription for Ativan that I tested at home.  I felt prepared, and I want to start travelling again.  BUT then yesterday my planned flight got cancelled. 😞  They have rescheduled, but the timing is lousy for my plans - I have a 90 minute flight, a 2.5 hour layover, and a 5 hour flight.  

I am scared to take 2 doses of Ativan without testing at home, but do not have time to test at home.  I need to be interactive on the other end also.  But I worry that if I take the first dose before the first flight, most of the effectiveness will be during my layover.  But I'm also very worried that it will wear off when I need it most, during the longer flight.

I did talk to my doctor - who said I could take a second dose "only if I really need it."  That causes even more stress - how will I know?  

Does anyone have experience that might be helpful?  I think my 2 leading options are 1) do the shorter flight without Ativan ( and HOPE it doesn't make my anxiety worse), or 2) take it as planned before the flight and just cross fingers it doesn't wear off too soon. 

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: other experience with Ativan?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Hi, I don't have any advice or suggestions but hope you have a pleasant trip and can once again LUV flying.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

No one here should be giving you medical advice.

If I were you, I'd contact my MD again and talk it out.

charlenecart12
Explorer C

The class is also known as anxiolytics or sedatives. Ativan has tranquilizing and anxiety-relieving effects. This makes you feel calm, serene and relaxed. It can also cause drowsiness or sleepiness as side effects.