Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

service dogs

Addie53006
Explorer C

hello, my name is Adisyn cappers and I have a large breed aka a Goldendoodle I'm traveling in December from Texas to Tennessee and was wondering what I should do he is an 8-month-old sweet sweet baby and loves people he is still in training as my family lost money and we don't have the money to get him trained anymore but he knows all of the tasks i want him to know from anxiety to anger to depression he knows a lot and also I'm 16 so if he knows everything then would i still be able to take him on the flight as a service dog?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: service dogs

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Information about flying with service animals can be found here: 

https://www.southwest.com/help/accessible-travel-assistance/trained-service-animals

It sounds like perhaps the dog has not yet become an "official" service animal.  In that case it could possibly still travel as a pet.  Information about that is here: 

https://www.southwest.com/help/booking/pet-policy

--TheMiddleSeat

Addie53006
Explorer C

hello, he is fully trained as of today he got certified by my psychologist so what is the deal with a large dog flying that is a service dog he doesn't fit in a small creat is that a problem?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Read info at the link posted above. No crate is required for service animals. 

--TheMiddleSeat

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B
Solution

Hi Adisyn,

Just so you don't have an unexpected surprise the day you fly...

Is your dog a therapy dog, an emotional support dog, or a psychiatric service dog?  There is a huge difference between the three.  Psychiatric service dogs require extensive training and have a vital role.  They are recognized as service dogs by the ADA and have certain rights protected by federal law. Therapy dogs and emotional support animals, while also serving very important purposes, do not have these same rights.  SWA no longer accepts emotional support animals on flights, regardless of certification.  Just in case your goldendoodle is an ESA, he would most likely not be allowed in the cabin without a $95 pet fee and an under-seat carrier.

If your dog is, in fact, a PSA...you're good to go!  I hope both of you have a nice flight.