Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: wifi purchase disables entertainment/live TV?

TaraBamburg
Employee
Employee

Hey there, @tlpanella, do you mind DMing me your current flight information and your MAC address? I personally was inflight within the past few days testing on 2 different Macs and was not able to replicate this issue so want to dive into your device logs with our service provider, Global Eagle. 

Also, can you confirm that your Mac is on at least MacOS 10.11?

Thanks so much!

jkurahara
Explorer C

I have the exact same issue. I have a PC. I connect to the southwest wifi. I connect to the internet. I am also enabling a Cisco VPN.  Once I am connected to wifi and the vpn, I cannot access the inflight entertainment.  I fly at least once a month. This is an ongoing problem.

Jon

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@jkurahara Your VPN doesn't allow/have access to the network the entertainment system is on. Not surprising it doesn't work.

--TheMiddleSeat

jkurahara
Explorer C

It is definitely the vpn. when I turn it off, I can get to the online entertainment. When I turn it on, I cant. From a security standpoint it would make sense to allow the vpn's to work, and allow access to the online entertainment.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Your company could make it work (split tunneling), but chooses not to allow that.  There's no way for the traffic to go through the VPN and get back to the plane so the changes need to be made by your company, not Southwest.

--TheMiddleSeat

cklein2387
Explorer C

Still having the same problem. Clearing browser cache did not resolve. 

I'm on a new Macbook. Purchased Internet, used internet (which was awesome flying to Hawaii) but now I want to get back to the movies. Have tried southwestwifi.com and getconnected.southwestwifi.com but they just direct me to https://www.southwest.com/inflight-entertainment-portal/

I've disconnected from the wifi network, turned off wifi and back on. I tried using Safari which I had not used during my internet access and it has the same issue. Going to turn my laptop off, have a drink and try again later.