Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

100% helpful (2/2)

Traveling with Pets

Flying with your furry friend on Southwest couldn’t be easier! Find answers to the most popular questions for pet travel below or review the full details of our Pet Policy

What types of pets do you allow onboard?  

We welcome small dogs and cats onboard domestic flights within the United States. They must fit in an approved pet carrier.  

Does my pet need to stay inside a carrier for the full duration of the flight?

Yes, we do require your pet(s) to be secured in the pet carrier at all times while in the gate area, during boarding, and deplaning. Pets must remain in the carrier for the entire duration of the flight.  

What are the dimensions of the required pet carrier?  

The maximum dimensions of a pet carrier can be no larger than 18.5” long x 8.5” high x 13.5” wide. The carrier must be leak-proof and well ventilated. The pet carrier must be small enough to fit under your seat in front of you per Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations.

Do you sell pet carriers?  

Yes, we do sell pet carriers! We have an official Southwest Airlines branded pet carrier available for purchase for $58 (tax included) at any Southwest Airport Ticket Counter or online (tax not included) at Southwest: The StoreHave your pet travel in style with a Southwest Airlines branded pet carrier!  

How many pets can I bring onboard?  

Customers are welcome to bring at most two animals of the same species onboard. For example, a cat and dog traveling in one pet carrier will be denied travel. Customers are only allowed to travel with one pet carrier. If your pets cannot stand or sit comfortably in one pet carrier, they will be denied travel.

Can I bring a pet carrier, personal item, and my carryon bag onboard?  

No, pet carriers are considered either a personal item or a carryon item. You may board the aircraft with a pet carrier and a personal item OR a pet carrier and a regular size carryon bag. You may not board the aircraft with a pet carrier, a regular size carryon bag, and a personal item. 

How can I add my pet to my reservation?  

Please add your pet to your reservation before arriving at the airport. If you use Facebook or Twitter, our Social Care Team will be happy to take care of adding your pet to your reservation. Please reach out via direct message (DM) on Twitter @Southwestair or Facebook private message us with your confirmation number. This is one of the fastest ways to take care of adding your pet to your reservation! If social media isn’t your style, you can contact our Reservations Team at 1-800-435-9792 before your travel date 

What is the cost to travel with my pet?  

The cost to travel with your pet is $125 each way per pet carrier. You can purchase the pet fare at the ticket counter before going to your departure gate.  

Still have questions? Visit our Pet Policy for more information about traveling with your pet.  

Categories