Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

2 Reward Accounts for 2 People on 1 Flight

kemper
Explorer C

My wife and I both have RR accounts with the same number of points.

I want to book a flight for the two of us but I assume I have to do it seperatly because neither of us has enought points to cover both tickets.

Just wondering if there is a way to do this so I can be sure we are both on the flight or do I buy one, switch to her account and buy the other?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: 2 Reward Accounts for 2 People on 1 Flight

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If I understand correctly that you each have just enough points to purchase your own ticket, you'll need to buy one ticket while logged into the first account, log out, then log into the second account and purchase the second ticket.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Or simultaneous while one uses the computer and one a mobile device? If you check the schedule now and there are plenty of WGA fares available you should be okay. If it's showing higher pricing then you probably want to get these booked sooner.

This should work fine, you'll have separate confirmation numbers to keep track of, but is recommended over purchasing points or transferring points which take time and add surcharges.

David

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

hgmckinney
Explorer A

One way to check it is to look up the flights saying you need "1 adult" and see if the points are different if you put it on "2 adults".  If so, you can assume the system is about to hit a threshhold to move to the next price.  Might not be from WGA to ANY, but still a higher WGA.  So choose whichever account and quickly buy the lower points ticket with that account and then switch as the others described to the second account and buy the second.  Don't be surprised if the second one is 15,000 pts when you paid 8,700 for the first one.  This is exactly what is supposed to happen on these computer systems.   It is a yield management thing, not a glitch.  Facts of life in Airlines and Hotels.  They can't put the inventory back on the shelf and sell it tomorrow, once the seat goes out empty or room is unfilled, that's it, the potential revenue is lost.  This is why all the airlines used to overbook by multiple seats on every flight.  Kudos to SWA for ending that practice!  They still need to bump people occaisionally for cancellations, emergency employee travel (mechanics, flight crew needed elsewhere, etc), but not for overbooking any more.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

This is a great tip @hgmckinney to see how many WGA are left at the current price.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

hgmckinney
Explorer A

I found this by accident one time.  I needed 4 tickets for a simple trip up/down the west coast.  I was just fiddling around trying to see which of the 5 LA airports had the most convenient or cheapest points.  Then I somehow noticed that 1 was different than 4 on points.  So I tried 2 and then 3.  I was able to get 3 at the cheaper points level and then just booked a fourth at the higher level.  But if you put 4 in the sytem it went up for all of them.

So now whenever I look for multiple tickets for my parents or in-laws, etc, I try one person first, then check two.  If they are the same I just book it and move on downt he road.

Hopefully Southwest will still LUV me ... ... ... cuz I LUV them!