Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: 2 month companion pass offer (1/6 - 2/28)

bec102896
Aviator A

@PaulM1 wrote:

This is my first reply (comment) in this community.

I tried... but received bad information from Customer Service Representative (CSR) on two (2) separate occasions.

During my first call, I was "assured" in no uncertain terms (I had the call on speaker phone and my wife heard the same thing I did) by a CSR that I could "buy" two (2) on-way tickets - one (1) for me and one (1) for my wife and as long as we flew the trip, I would quality for the limited time promotional companion pass (the pass). I bought the one-way tickets and I purchased a round trip ticket for myself to Hawaii (not cheap) for a flight (within the promotional window) with the idea that my wife would fly with me (as my companion) for free. Then, 10 days after we both flew the one-way trips, I had not received an e-mail (indicating that I had qualified for the pass).

During my second call, I was "assured" by another CSR that I had qualified (that the two (2) one-way trips met the qualifications for the pass), that sometimes it takes more time to get the e-mail (from marketing), and that I couldn't add a companion until 1/6/22 anyways. In other words, I should not to be concerned. Well, by 1/6/22, I had not received "the" e-mail and I was not able to add my wife as my companion to the fly with me on the flight I had already booked to Hawaii. Then, on my third call, I was informed by a CSR that I had not qualified for the pass, there was nothing she could do about it, that a supervisor wasn't available to talk to me (that a supervisor couldn't do anything about it anyways), and that I could go to the website under contact us and submit a complaint (to corporate).

So, here I am. Based on the bad information provided by two (2) Southwest CSR's on two (2) separate occasions, my wife and I flew the one-way trips (which we could have flown with another airline), I bought a roundtrip ticket to Hawaii (which I could have purchased on another airline), and I can't add her as a companion.

Your suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.        

Unfortunately one of you would have needed to register then book 2 one ways where you travel then fly before the deadline back in November. You can’t each take a one way flight since you are different people. Had you or your wife or both of you completed the 2 one way flights you would each have a companion pass (or whoever completed the 2 one ways would have a companion pass) 

dfwskier
Aviator A

I suspect the CSRs misunderstood you. When you started talking about 2 one way trips, that's what the CSRs heard. 2 one way trips DO qualify for the promotion - when taken by one person. They missed the part about one one way  for one person and the second for a different person.

I have never heard of a Southwest promotion where two different people could take actions where taken together they qualify for something.

PaulM1
Explorer C

I appreciate the input. We were very clear when we asked the first agent about what qualifies for the promotion - as I was ready to purchase the tickets for myself and my wife (I had them teed up on the website and was using the information for our discussion with the agent). When we received the response from the agent, we read her response back to her and she verified that our understanding was correct. We were both on the phone (we had the speaker on). When I called back (having not received the e-mail regarding the companion pass), the second agent checked on it and indicated that we had met the requirements. In any event, we cancelled our trip. I submitted a complaint on 1/10. In the complaint, I offered resolution (to refund my money or provide a companion pass for another time) . I just heard back today (on 1/28). So, it took 18 days to get a response. Basically, they "apologized for the miscommunications or confusion", but did "not" offer any resolution. As a result, we'll be flying and booking our vacation package with another airline. The moral of the story... buyer beware... just because employees give you information doesn't mean it's correct.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@PaulM1 Based on the information you provided earlier it was pretty easy to see there was a misunderstanding and you did not meet the requirements.  To demand compensation for that is not reasonable when you could have read the requirements yourself as many others, including those who commented on your post did.  If you want to take your business elsewhere because you did not understand the terms of a promotion it is your decision to make, good luck and safe travels.

--TheMiddleSeat

PaulM1
Explorer C

Speaking of misunderstandings, what compensation are you referring to? I’m seeking a refund of my money (not a travel credit). That way, I can buy a ticket elsewhere. I’m “not” seeking compensation (beyond a refund). The airline had the opportunity to make this right (and retain a customer) and choose not to do that. It’s really that simple.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

"provide a companion pass for another time" sounds like compensation to me.

Since you purchased a non-refundable ticket the standard refund policies apply.  Not understanding terms of a promotion does not magically change that.  You chose to jump the gun and purchase a ticket for yourself before you received the companion pass, that was your choice.  Sorry it didn't work out for you.

--TheMiddleSeat

PaulM1
Explorer C

The proposed resolution was either/or - not and/both. The airline was “not” willing to do anything. The employee (agent) clearly did “not” understand the terms of the promotion (as explained to us). The ticket was purchased based on the assurance from the agent that we would qualify. I guess what you’re saying is that employees are not a good source information for how things (like companion promotions) work. At least you and I agree that customers should not rely on what employees say.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@PaulM1 wrote:

The proposed resolution was either/or - not and/both. The airline was “not” willing to do anything. The employee (agent) clearly did “not” understand the terms of the promotion (as explained to us). The ticket was purchased based on the assurance from the agent that we would qualify. I guess what you’re saying is that employees are not a good source information for how things (like companion promotions) work. At least you and I agree that customers should not rely on what employees say.

They can't add a companion pass like that it isn't one of the things a phone rep can do, and refunding is also an issue. The best you could probably do is get a LUV voucher but if you won't be flying Southwest then that offering wouldn't be useful to you anyway.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

I too must say I am/was pretty disappointed in how SWA handled this promotion. I registered, booked, and flew the required flights in the required window and time period, but received ZERO notifications and got NO reply from multiple electronic messages, (emails and tweets.) There was NO acknowledgement of my meeting the requirements of the promotion. I did ultimately qualify for the renewal of my CP at the end of November via the "standard" method.

Just sharing my experience, I am hopeful that Southwest gets back to basics and communicates better to those of us who regularly advocate for the brand.

xxaielaxx
Explorer C

I am also having issues with this. I qualify 100% and even called before I booked the flight to ensure I qualified. 

I have called SW x7 trying to resolve this issue. I have a flight this Friday in 3 days that I need a companion pass for and the agents over the phone can't help me. THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE DISASTER. They keep pushing me off to email (up to 10 days to respond) saying they will call me back (they never call me back) or to call back later. 

My friend got the same deal no issue, not sure why we are all experiencing issues. 

I didn't get a confirmation email that I qualified but when I called to follow-up, they sent me a confirmation email and stated that I indeed qualify, but phone agents can't change the settings UI to add in a companion pass. It's something inside the internal system that I need to be added to to enable assigning a companion pass.