Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

2020 Companion Pass

kkempster
Explorer C

Thanks to everyone for your reply to my previous post regarding what happens to an EARNED companion pass in 2020.  It appears to be all for not with the extension of passes earned in 2019.  As all of you, I am a loyal Southwest customer and have a suggestion for Southwest Airline.  How about giving all of us who EARNED the pass in 2020 additional points equivalent to the amount of points we accrued in 2020 to earn the pass.  Thoughts?

18 REPLIES 18

Re: 2020 Companion Pass

dfwskier
Aviator A

Remember that SW gave you 25,000 CP qualifying points last year...

Southwest is already giving every RR member lots of stuff:

For all Rapid Rewards® Members with a Rapid Rewards account opened by December 31, 2020, we know travel may be limited early this year, but we still want to give you more opportunities to earn A-List, A-List Preferred, and Companion Pass so we’re giving you:

• 15,000 tier qualifying points (TQPs)**
  • 25,000 Companion Pass qualifying points (CPQPs)**
  • 10 qualifying flight credits toward A-List and A-List Preferred
  • 25 qualifying flights toward Companion Pass

soxfan82
Adventurer C

I had already earned the CP pass last year before they gave the 25K CP points.

Nice gesture I guess. Didn't matter though.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

For many people who are flying regularly its equivalent to a subscription. You earn it the one time that you get a partial year, and after that it's just every year and the timing doesn't matter.

If you keep flying regularly this will be your situation as well. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

gsking
Aviator C

I'm thinking why did you create a new thread?  Sigh...

Jsmjeff
Adventurer C

i agree with you. I earned my companion pass in April of 2020. We should have gotten an exstension also.

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Definitely share this directly with the airline via the Contact Us on the site, or any of the social media channels. While it may not kick in this time, it may help influence decisions if this ever happens again.

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

cfrieday
Explorer A

totally agree.  I earned my pass in April 2020.  Have used it once.  I am not adverse to flying but there is no place to really go without crazy requirements.  

gsking
Aviator C

@cfrieday wrote:

totally agree.  I earned my pass in April 2020.  Have used it once.  I am not adverse to flying but there is no place to really go without crazy requirements.  

Incorrect.   I can't find anyplace SWA flies with ANY requirements, let alone crazy ones,  except Hawaii.   You can get tested before you go,  or show proof of Covid recovery. 

When they were closed, we went to Florida and Cabo.   Going to Vegas and Colorado this month. 

So I guess you're not looking very hard. 

cfrieday
Explorer A

I disagree.   Cayman Islands closed, Bahamas closed Turks & Caicos as well as Costa Rica.  They are listed on the SW site.  Yes we flew to Utah without issues, however if I am traveling I want to travel to a place for enjoyment.  Currently many states have arrival policies you need to follow.  I have no problem,but having to test repeatedly is costly and takes away from what has been saved by having a CP.   We have a trip booked for Hawaii in March, we were supposed to go in January.  SW actually cancelled that one as they stopped flights to Kauai b/c of Kauai restrictions.  I now am being told I will arrive in HA, Maui and then when traveling to Kona will test again.  Then before flying home test again.  Then arriving in NY test again.  When does it become to much.  I will travel with restrictions and requirements, but I need options.  I worked my butt off to qualify for the CP.  Achieving in Apirl 2020 so that gives me 20 months of travel time.  Expires 2021.  At some point this needs to be considered.  Don't get me wrong not blaming anyone.  Covid stinks.  But I know that there are many in my same situation.