Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: 2020 Companion Pass

dfwskier
Aviator A

@cfrieday wrote:

I disagree.   Cayman Islands closed, Bahamas closed Turks & Caicos as well as Costa Rica.   

Out of curiosity, how many times did you fly to these places in 2018 and 2019?

gsking
Aviator C

You're correct on the international destinations...I forgot about those.   But as you said,  nothing they can do about that when the entire county is essentially closed. 

But those states you refer to... either SWA doesn't fly there,  or the restrictions are recommendations.   Do I feel bad ignoring the California quarantine "suggestion"?   Nope.... not worried about bringing Covid into a state with the worst Covid. 

I've been to Hawaii twice since Covid.  Testing is a pain,  but the cost saved in airline tickets should make up for it.   If you've had Covid,  you don't even have to test.   

Yes,  I had to fly an extra leg on one trip.   Oh well.   Half my tickets were free, and the other half were half off  due to Covid.  A 75% discount.  So that's an excuse to complain and demand an extension to my CP?

I just landed in Vegas.   I'll be in Colorado next weekend.   You said you need options.   You have plenty of them.   

Explorer C

I also agree that Southwest should have extended the Companion Pass for those that earned it in 2020.  We earned it in a year where they were struggling but only those who earned it in 2019 got rewarded with the extension.  I am hoping they revisit it and later will extend our companion passes beyond December 31, 2021.  

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@00000609576730 wrote:

I also agree that Southwest should have extended the Companion Pass for those that earned it in 2020.  We earned it in a year where they were struggling but only those who earned it in 2019 got rewarded with the extension.  I am hoping they revisit it and later will extend our companion passes beyond December 31, 2021.  

Hi @00000609576730 . I understand your frustration and encourage you to Contact Customer Relations to discuss your concerns. As a peer-to-peer forum, we aren't equipped to assist you here. Thanks!

Nicole
Community Manager

lis5th
Explorer B

Agreed.  Super frustrated that people who earned it 2019 will have more time to use it that those of us who earned it in 2020.  I earned it at the beginning of 2020 and still haven't been able to use it.  We all are living through the same pandemic in the same time period.  So, I'm not sure why we wouldn't all get an extension for the same amount of time.

The boost did nothing at all to help.  Time to reconsider my loyalty.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@lis5th wrote:

Agreed.  Super frustrated that people who earned it 2019 will have more time to use it that those of us who earned it in 2020.  I earned it at the beginning of 2020 and still haven't been able to use it.  We all are living through the same pandemic in the same time period.  So, I'm not sure why we wouldn't all get an extension for the same amount of time.

The boost did nothing at all to help.  Time to reconsider my loyalty.

Ooops, I forgot. Southwest is the only airline to offer a companion pass. The absolute best perk in the industry.

Yeah, maybe you should switch to Delta and get the Delta companion pass - and pay for checked bags and seat selection.

Ooops, I forgot. Southwest is the only airline to offer a companion pass. The absolute best perk in the industry.

You haven't been able to use it?????  Somewhere between 600,000 and 1,300,000 people are flying every day. They could use it.

gsking
Aviator C

Let me see... I've flown 12 legs this year alone and it's only been one MONTH.    Been to Maui, Vegas, and Colorado.   Every one of those flights used my CP.  

France forced Tahiti to close with no advance notice so my trip there next weekend got canceled.   I'm busy trying to get refunds for those flights from United and Air Tahiti. 

So guess what?   I'm going to Cancun... on SW with my CP.  Prices are LOWER than advertised... about $350 for two people,  at the last minute. 

So I'm really unclear on what you're complaining about.   If you can't find a reason to fly, that's on you.   And then go try to find last minute travel on another airline due to these capricious rule changes, and let me know what you find. 

dealm8ker
Explorer C

You guys are not addressing my issue.  I earned Companion Pass in 2019 AND 2020.  To earn it in  2020, I spent over $100,000 on the Southwest Credit Card.  If I had known that the 2020 Companion Pass was going to be worthless, I would have spent that money on my Disney card and would have earned at least $1,000 in Disney Dollars.  I actually lost money by earning Companion Pass in 2020.

gsking
Aviator C

@dealm8ker wrote:

You guys are not addressing my issue.  I earned Companion Pass in 2019 AND 2020.  To earn it in  2020, I spent over $100,000 on the Southwest Credit Card.  If I had known that the 2020 Companion Pass was going to be worthless, I would have spent that money on my Disney card and would have earned at least $1,000 in Disney Dollars.  I actually lost money by earning Companion Pass in 2020.

No need to double post.  That just complicates matters.

You haven't "lost" any money.  Your 2020 pass isn't "worthless".  You're just mad that they extended the pass for free due to Covid.  Oh well.  Life goes on.  You made over $1600 in RR points.  Last I checked, that's worth more than $1000 in Disney dollars.

Yes, you weren't able to game the system to maximize your benefit due to Covid, and SW extending the 2020 CP for free.  So you're EXACTLY where you'd have been had Covid not hit.  And yet you're complaining?

Next time, I suggest you dig out your crystal ball and see what the future has in store.  This way, you'll maximize your benefit, and not get mad when someone gives you something free that you already worked for. 

Or you could just think about things more realistically.  That's what I do.  (I also have that "worthless" 2021 CP)