Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

4/3-4/5 Companion Pass Promotion - Clarification Needed

JulieB
Explorer C

There's a new companion pass promotion currently going on that if you book a RT flight (or 2 one way flights) between 4/3 - 4/5 and fly before 5/24, you'll receive a companion pass for the period of Aug 15-Sep 30.  So far, so good. 

I noticed that offer says "Not valid on flights purchased with Rapid Rewards points".  The terms & conditions state that flights purchased by 4/5 and flown by 5/24 must be revenue flights. That makes sense - you need to buy a flight (not use points) to earn the promotional companion pass. 

But does that restriction also apply to the flights from Aug 15-Sep 30?  In other words, do my flights between between Aug 15- Sep 30 have to be revenue flights in order to use the companion pass? Or can I book my September flight with points and still use promotional companion pass?  That part was not clearly spelled out in the terms & conditions.  I know that in the past, when I had earned a full year companion pass, I could use points for my flight and add a companion, but wasn't sure if this promotion is different. 

13 REPLIES 13

Re: 4/3-4/5 Companion Pass Promotion - Clarification Needed

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

The rule is that the flights used to qualify must be revenue flights.

Once you have qualified ANY flight you take (regardless if points $, vouchers, etc)  between the August/September dates allow you to bring a companion with you.

bec102896
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Once you have qualified ANY flight you take (regardless if points $, vouchers, etc)  between the August/September dates allow you to bring a companion with you.

Excludes flights booked with an E Pass 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

The rule is that the flights used to qualify must be revenue flights.

Just clarifying a points flight is also a revenue flight, only that it’s excluded from qualification for the promo but nothing in the terms excludes points flights later from being eligible during the promo period.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

lol, I went ahead and signed up for the promotion just because I sign up for every promotion.  This is, I already have a companion pass for my wife, and I don't fly with anyone but my wife, so although I will qualify for the companion pass, I won't get to use it.  UNLESS, any of you savvy folks out in the community know something I don't, please share. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

@SWFlyer007 sorry, you can only have one Companion Pass.

--TheMiddleSeat

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@TheMiddleSeat I figured as much....

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

@TheMiddleSeat I figured as much....

The last time this happened I signed up one of my kids, who then had the other kid as their companion 🙂

It amused me.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SC1
Explorer C

Sorry to piggyback to this thread.... some of you may have signed up for the 4/3-4/5 promotion and have taken the flight by now.  Do you receive the companion pass after you return from the flight?  Will we receive the companion pass on 5/24?  Or another date?  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@SC1 the promotional Companion Passes are typically awarded shortly before the period when the pass is available to use.  In this case, that appears to be August 15 so I would expect the pass to be ready to use sometime within 30 days of August 15.  The official terms and conditions of the offer may have more info if you happen to still have them.

--TheMiddleSeat